· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Weird Snail Scenario

0 Not allowed!
    My snail problem was really bad a few days ago, like somewhere around 40 snails in the tank plus countless tiny ones that I couldn't see yet. They lived through my fishless cycle which was astonishing, and continued to grow. Many were roughly the size of a pea. Then Saturday I added fish. Today, I can't see any snails AT ALL. It's the weirdest thing. None of my fish would eat an adult snail I don't think, and there are no shells laying around that I can see. Is it possible they all went into hiding when they sensed fish were in the tank? I have no idea.

And of course, I ordered 3 assassin snails thinking I would have 100 by the time I got them. They arrive tomorrow, into what appears to be a completely snail free tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Are these malaysian trumpet snails? It is possible they have burrowed into and are present in the substrate.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Are these malaysian trumpet snails? It is possible they have burrowed into and are present in the substrate.
    No they are your run of the mill pond snails. Some of them had circular shaped shells though which were different, they came later.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there food in the tank? If some food drifted into a part of the tank you can't see, they might've gone to that. Its very unlikely, but it is an idea.

How big is the tank?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's 36g, It is possible the food fell under driftwood and such but still, they were all over the walls a few days ago and now they are gone. The tank has no lid most of the time but I haven't seen any snails on the floor either. So confusing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I still can't figure out why people dislike vacuum cleaners in their tanks. I miss my snails, somehow mine came on troubled times in a couple tanks. My guess is the water spiked something horrible or they are there somewhere. Try a water test unless you are well planted (going back to previous posts of hiding food).

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.