· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Weighing my options

0 Not allowed!
    Sooooo as some of you know I've recently aquired a 125g that I plan on using for Discus.

I was looking through algae scrubbers when it hit me... shouldn't I just do a sump?? I have a free 10g that I could use for this.

Would that be doable? Would that size accomadate my tank? Would it be cheaper? Would it do the job of a canister filter?? And would it decrease the amount of equipment that I would have in the display?

I also have a 55g that I could use for this, I'm just very scared about the weight issue. I've already got 1000 pounds or so in my living room. Do I want to add to that??
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I would use the 55 gal and do a simple sump if you have the free tanks. I think you will be fine weight wise. I know that is what i was debating for my discus tank. I ended up going with constant water changes and sponge filter.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you went with the 55 you would have plenty of room for your heaters in there, then they wouldnt need to be in the tank. You would need additional equipment to do it (overflow box, piping, return pump). I dont know if it would really be cheaper than getting a canister. Also I dont know if it would fit in yout stand (I mean I think it would fit, but it might be hard to get it in there depending on how big the doors are).

0 Not allowed!
    Well, if it wouldn't be cheaper I'd rather just get a canister. Does anyone have any experience with siphon powered algae scrubbers?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Based on my experience and research, algae scrubbers work best when you have very high flow rates and very bright/ high levels of lighting. Using a siphon based drain to supply a algae scrubber would most likely give you lower flow and potentially limit the effectiveness of the algae growth. The below link explains it a little better than I can

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...cs-The-Summary

In tank up-low scrubbers can also be a option, but from what I have read, they are not as effective as compared to the traditional algae scrubber designs.

Edit:

Ops, almost for got to mention, the below links can help you with planning & building a sump should you choose to. If you have a larger tank, you could build a sump with a return pump big enough to also supply a very large algae scrubber all for around the same price as two big canister filters. The benefit of the sump IMO is the opportunity to have even more biological filter media and the option to build a scrubber if that is what you choose.

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...umbing-basics/

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...e-sump-basics/

Either way, you will still have a great set-up. It all comes down to which approach you would like better
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For Discus, I would just keep it simple, and use sponge filters with an air pump along with the large daily water changes.

0 Not allowed!
    Large, daily water changes are out. Not only do I know I will not stick to a schedule like that, but I simply can't afford it. . . Maybe I should do angels fish... Lol.