· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I thought about KH and GH as well, but it seems like all the fish would be affected by the sudden change in TDS. Here are some interesting posts I found a few days ago about pH, GH, and KH.
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-ph-shock.html
    http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...-ph-shock.html
    http://mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2%20pag...bsarticle2.htm
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Such a big bummer to hear this. super sorry for you.

but i'd be inclined to agree with the taps as well. when testing my downstairs sink in the wetbar, i get a totally different set of readings than the upstairs tub, which is where i do my pwc b/c it has better readings.
    maybe a pip is corroded, leak somewhere? go talk to your water company as well and get a print out? pull up last month vs this month and read the differences. that may get somewhere too.

it has to be something freaky in the water, you keep good conditions in every other facet...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Correct me if i'm wrong, to summarise you've had 2 or three "die-offs" recently immediately following a water change in one particular tank, of one species, where you use a different tap to supply water, however this same tap is used for a breeder tank also, with no ill efffects, and each time it happens, it's 2 or 3 fish from a school, rather than the whole school. I wouldn't hesitate to check the quality of the water coming from that tap, but I'd I'd also be more inclined to look at other factors - are the affected fish the ones who are attracted to the new water flowing into the tank? I don't know how quickly Prime neutralises heavy metals if present. Can only suggest watching your fish for half an hour or so during and after the water change and see if theres a common factor in the fish affected. I know its very frustrating to lose fish without knowing why

0 Not allowed!
    My money is on the pipes as well. Water changes or the percentage of water changed couldn't be the problem. I do, and have always done 70-75 water changes on all my tanks, even my loach tanks when I kept them, without any issues.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Have you checked the pH of the tap and the tank? Loaches are hyper senitive to changes in pH; while 0.25 changes are max for fish, I'd won't be surprised if that level would kill loaches. Also, what you describe sounds alot like pH change shock. Test the tank after it has aged (time just before you do a w/c) and then test the tap. If they differ more than 0.2, I'd not do a single large w/c but a series of smaller ones over two days ... .

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys, lots of good ideas being passed around. I'll do some comprehensive pH testing for starters.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone remember the guy here a few months back with that big tank he could not get to cycle? After helping him for awhile, we found out he had filed his tank from the outside garden hose and had a pH of only 6. His inside water was 7.5. Never did find out why one tap in his house gave him such a different pH from the other. It happens.

But, I don't understand Brhino's problem. This is not the only tank he fills from that faucet and I think losing only the loaches is pretty odd. I would get those filters turned on right away, tho, so that Prime can get mixed properly and the undissolved gasses can get driven off. Fish just laying on the bottom like that sound like fish in shock to me. ?????
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Get a 35 gallon plastic trash can, fill with cold water, and get the water up to temp using an aquarium heater. This will eliminate the possibility of something from your hot water heater getting into the water and killing off your loaches. While it is getting up to temp, run a HOB filter with purigen or GAC on that 35 gallon trash can for a few hours, and see if the clowns still die from that.

You might also want to get a TDS monitor to see the difference in TDS from the warm tap water and your tank water.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I did some preliminary pH testing, and the results were not particularly enlightening.

Right vial is from my planted community tank, filled from the kitchen tap on the ground floor. Seven days since last water change.
    Middle vial is from a fry tank from the basement, filled from the basement sink. Doesn't actually have any fry in it now, just snails. Very long time since a water change, since there's no fish in there.
    Left vial is straight from the basement sink.

Hard to tell from the photo, but the one from the sink is a very slightly different shade than the other two. You expect that though... straight from the tap is always going to be different than sitting around.

I'm going to test the tap again after it's sat for a day, but nothing that I'm seeing in these tests is jumping out at me.

Also, here's the sink in question. You'll notice that it's PVC pipe going into the metal sink. Water actually only passes through a few inches of metal, and it's never sitting around in metal for any length of time. So we're not talking about 10 feet of rusting iron pipe between the water heater and the sink or anything like that.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Your test results would tend to indicate otherwise, but do you happen to get a lot of bubbles in the tank after a waterchange?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1