· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Exclamation Help Longterm Betta Illness

0 Not allowed!
    I have been trying to treat my Betta for a large swollen side and very little pooping (though he is still active and eats like a horse). The spot is very large focused to one side as well as transparent (with only a tint of yellow). This issue has been going on since a bit before New Years and it appears that treatments are not really helping much. To be honest, although he seems happy it looks like heck. Its so clear on the side I can see his internals due to the swelling (which is scary). I have noticed something new about his condition recently that is also really strange. His side that has the clear bulge is large enough that I can see through him and notice a white cauliflower like White shape inside. I am wondering if this might be some sort of parasite or something cause it looks very odd. It seems to be larger when he eats if that is any help. I also have not seen much poo as well as noticing the side seems to have some red lines in it. I have only been feeding him small amounts of freeze dried daphnia.

Here is what treatments he's currently on:
    1) kanaplex (halfway through a second round) - external treatment.
    2) 6 tsp of Epsom salt for the 5 gallon tank.
    3) tank contains an Indian almond leaf as well.

What it started as:
    http://s2.postimage.org/4a2jg6psp/image.jpg

What it looks like now (for last few weeks):
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2mqs1ld.jpg

Anyone ever see something like this and treat it?
    Last edited by techstud85; 02-04-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Link Incorrect

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my. I have never seen anything like that, looks like a tumor or something. You say he's eating fine and swimming fine? The epsom salt should help with the constipation...but if he's not eating much, he won't be pooping much. Lopsided bloat/growth like that is not usually constipation.

Others far more knowledgeable than me will be along, and I hope one of them can help. That poor guy! And poor you, for having to figure out such a puzzle! Good luck to you both.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

0 Not allowed!
    After some checking, I am nearly 100 percent certain that this is an extreme and advanced stage of dropsy. This is likely due to organ failure, from either fatty liver disease, or Kidney failure. Organ failure can also occur if there is a bowel obstruction, leading to a severe state such as this. Not all Betta dropsy presents with "Pine-cone" scales, but can present as a blister like swelling as you describe and the picture shows.

First, its not your fault, small relief as that will be, but some Betta are simply prone to infections of organs which can lead to this severe of a state. It is up to you weather to treat or not, as treating the ailment can put further stress and in some cases cause death. If you decide to treat, the best option is to use a gram positive and gram negative antibiotic at the same time, such as Maracyn and Maracyn II. The fail rate of treating this state of illness is low, so do be warned of that. You can attempt to feed shelled peas, to help with any constipation, as the high protein diet of Daphnia may make the problem compounded.

The white area you are seeing through the transparent flesh, is at best guess, a tumor or infective tissue growing on failed or failing organs. It may be the cause of the ailment, or, something that came along afterwards, it is hard to tell.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The kanaplex is a broad-spectrum antibiotic (and a good one, so I've read), so if the bulge is not responding to that, IDK what else to do. Do you have access to frozen brine shrimp? I have heard that those have some mild laxative properties and might be good in place of the daphnia. I fully agree that this isn't anything you did. It sounds like you are doing really well with trying to help him.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. As a lover of bettas, it's so sad to see such a thing.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.