· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Goldfish water change

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys

Im going to be starting a new job on Wednesday and its a night shift, 12 hour shifts at that. Anyways I know im going to feel very sluggish for the first couple weeks and just have a question about my water change.

I try to change 30% each week in my 40 gal goldfish tank and was wondering If I was to do a 50% change tomorrow will that buy me a couple weeks until another water change or is that too much to change at once?

any tips would be great

Jeremy

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    50% is fine as long as ph and temp are the same I do 50% each week. As for being enough for a few weeks as long as you have good filtration it should be ok for a couple of weeks.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Are you going to be working 7 days a week? Maybe you can change your water change schedule for your day off. You should really do a water change weekly. Watch the nitrates, even though water changes are for much more than reducing nitrates, they can be a good indicator as to whether you can wait two weeks or not.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd that to Mommy1

goldfish need super filtration and big water changes because of the amount of wastes they produce, so things go sour really really fast in that set up.

and of course, this is all pending you have adequate stocking in your tank with proper filtration.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys,

I have a aqua tech filter right now that is made for a 40 gal but I find it doesn't really do a good job. I really want to get another one. Can anybody recommend one?

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend keeping the filter you have, and adding a second filter. Your filtration capacity should double what your tank holds. for a forty gallon tank, you want 80 gallons of filtration. I would recommend an aquaclear as a second filter, and even adding a sponge filter run by an air pump as a back up to that. It seems like overkill, but trust me, in the long run its well worth it.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks guys,

I have a aqua tech filter right now that is made for a 40 gal but I find it doesn't really do a good job. I really want to get another one. Can anybody recommend one?
    As you feel you don't have very good filtration, I certainly would not suggest skipping a weekly water change. If anything, I would suggest increasing the amount, but your water parameters will confirm that for you. It doesn't take all that long at all to complete a waterchange and your fish will thank you for it

As for filter recommendations, I would suggest looking into Aquaclear HOBs, or, if you want a canister filter then Rena, Fluval, and Eheim are all good brands to pick from. I can't make much more of a recommendation than that as I do not know your current stocking or tank size.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]