· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Are all Boesemani Rainbow's the same color as juveniles

0 Not allowed!
    Just wondering if all Boesemani's are silver and yellow as juveniles? Do they all (male) end up the same color of orange / blue?

Hope to get six soon!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Often you will see suble variations in colors in juvies. Males tend to be yellowish on the back end, females tend to be more greenish all over. My three males are not uniformly colored; the dominant one has the brightest colors, the subdom has slight green streaking and isn't as bright, and the juvenile is much less bright. However, you can tell they are all bosemans, as the colors aren't that terribly different.

Hope this helps.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The ones that are silver/yellow as juveniles will be silver/yellow as adults. They won't change into blue/orange. Still nice, but I prefer the blue/orange. I know this from experience and years and years of keeping Rainbow fish.

If you are lucky enough to find one, a very young blue/orange variety will very clearly show orange not yellow. Not even close. I have 4right now, not even 2" long, and they show the same vibrant orange as my 5" adult males. Very hard to find though.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I've been looking around the twin cities for quite some time and have yet to see any blue/orange. Any idea where to find them? On line perhaps?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are three distinct populations that I know of, perhaps more. The first is the line discovered and taken to Germany by Blehrer. This line was either an intense orange and blue coloration or the coloration was focus bred in Germany. Some examples of this line made their way to the University of Minnesota. The females in this line have good coloration and deep lateral lines in dark color that give them a distinct marking.
    The next line is a more subdued line in respect to coloration and has more of a yellow orange hue and not as much blue or not as intense a blue. The females in this llne are rather plain and may only have subtle lines.
    Then there is the Atinjyo line, this fish is extremely red orange and the female has a nice coloration for a female with a hinting of orange on the super female.

Each of these are separate populations and should not be cross bred, they should each be maintained as separate populations or races of Boseman's Rainbow.

In all Boseman's rainbows there is a heirarchy of fish that progress towards alpha. One male will be the super and one female will be the super, these fish will be a bit larger and command the spawning site.

As juveniles it is very hard to distinguish the different types.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm...I my dominant male is orange/blue. I just got him from petsmart. Unfortunately I can't tell you what he looked like as a juvenile. I *think* they can darken up over time, but maybe not to orange if they start out yellow. The other males I have are kind of orange/yellow. Not straight yellow, but not as intense as Big Guy.

I'd imagine it's hard to tell what they are when you see them all stressed out at a store...I do remember mine were very pale when I got them. They are still beautiful though, if thier diet is good and they are healthy, even if they aren't as boldly colored.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.