· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Amano shrimp dying after water change

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I made several changes to my tank, I adding 3 live plants, some more sand substrate, and a cheap co2 kit.

I decided to do a small water change to try and clear the water a bit as the sand made it a bit cloudy, so I did a 1 bucket (10 litre) mini water change. However an hour or so later I decided I may as well do a proper one as the bottom was covered in poop. I ended up doing a 50% change as the bottom was so filthy.

After the water change I noticed my shrimp where swimming all around the tank, and some where sitting on plants near the front of the tank, something they dont normally do. I googled and found that after a water change shrimp regularly do this, so I thought nothing of it.

After the water change I dosed some JBL Ferropol plant fertilizer and as im treating my tank for white spot I put some white spot meds in too.

When I went to bed I found 3 of my 7 shrimp lying on the bottom. I presumed they were dead. This morning I went to fish them out but surprisingly they darted around when I tried to pick them up, but they are still laying on their side.

Im thinking either the water change shocked them or the copper in the fertz hurt them, however the fert only contains 0.009% copper and are supposed to be safe for shrimp, and my dwarf frogs which are also sensitive to copper are doing fine. The co2 kit needs 24 - 48 hours to start working so I can rule that out, and the white spot meds are also shrimp safe.

So could it have been the large water change thats done them in? And as they are still alive is there a chance they will recover?

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    What Makes you think that your Medication is shrimp Safe?
    Because it doesn't contain copper? While copper is a common substance harmful to shrimp,
    It does not mean that no other substance on earth is harmful to shrimp, and medications, especially
    Anti parasitic ones like you used, are very prone to carrying [I]other[I] substances that kill crustaceans.

This is what I find most likely assuming you dosed your ferts according to instructions and properly treated your tap water. My own Amanos don't mind the trace concentrations of copper in my plant fertilizer at all.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been dosing the white spot meds for 2 weeks, and the shrimp have been fine. Also this particular one has confirmed to be shrimp safe (king british white spot control).

As a test ive filled a bucket with de-chlorinated water and put 2 of the shrimp in it, they are kicking their legs about but arent able to do much else, I doubt they will recover but its worth a shot.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Questions: How long has your tank been running & how long have the shrimp been in the tank?

What are your current water parameters? How often do you change your water? I notice you mentioned that the bottom was quite dirty.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp View Post
    Questions: How long has your tank been running & how long have the shrimp been in the tank?

What are your current water parameters? How often do you change your water? I notice you mentioned that the bottom was quite dirty.
    Since September, the shrimp have been in the tank since around the end of December.

Water is fine, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates around 10 - 20 (hard to tell with my test kit). I change it once a week, as I have lighter coloured sand dirt shows up easier, so its probably not any more dirty than an other tank that gets water changed once a week.