· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Mandy... not to alarm or anything but did you water test this in a safe location? Moving the tank alone puts you at risk for seal issues... just like the guy putting the stand on top of the tank... Just a conscern.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    She is doing discus, bare bottom is recommended.
    What's the reasoning behind that? I've seen Discus tanks with substrate. Is it because some substrates can alter pH?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Its because its more sterile. Basically with smaller discus, the 1.5in that shes getting, she will be feeding 4-6 times a day on an autofeeder or personally. Daily water changes are then required to keep up with that bioload and cleaning of the substrate... Sand and all that is going to be harder to clean every day than a bare bottom tank. Its just overall more sterile.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i thought with bare bottom tanks its a good idea to paint the bottom of the bottom. ive hear dof textured paints (and will be trying it soon) to make it look like something is there.... also it cuts reflections (so im told) not sure if thats a problem with discus or not but my leopard bush fish seems to hate the reflection...

but everything is looking great, i cant wait to see this thread down the lines XD
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone!

As Sandz explained, I'm doing the bare bottom because it is easier to keep it clean for Discus!

Kevin-Thanks for your compliment on the scape. This def isn't the final position for everything. We were tired and were just putting stuff in. All my things look like ants in this tank! I think the first thing we're going to want is a new, large piece of driftwood to be my center piece. I've gotten lots of inspiration from Aeonflame's 100g set up. We'll be going for something like that.

Sandz- We did not test the tank. Risky, I know. We were pretty worried all last night. We did see the tank full of water before we moved it though, and there are no percievable leaks since last night. I think we will be okay for now.

There ARE some substantial chips in the tank. I think we are going to silicone them just to be safe.

They are pretty big, but they don't seem to have touched the seam. Lol.

And of course we still have a load of cleaning to do.

I don't know what this is, or how to get it off at the moment. I can barelly even scrap it off, and windex has no affect.

There is also what seems to be a substrate line on the back of the inside glass. You can't see it too well any more because it's painted, but I still want it gone. Annnnd there's some stray sand and leaves floating around in there that I'll suck up eventually during a W/C. . .. .

Man I'm tired already!! I forgot that it took me 6 months to get the 55g the way I wanted it.... This thing is going to take FOREVER!

Oh yeah, Genocidex-- We did paint the bottom as well. It is also black. Didn't want to look down there and see the guts of the thing. :)

EDIT: Sadly I missed out on my chance at a Rena XPS4 plus a theo heater last night. They were BRAND NEW. The heater was still in the box, and the lady wanted $110 for both! My husband called on them, and she had already sold them........................................ That was the exact brand I wanted for a canister and EVERYTHING! BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like calcium buildup or limescale. Try white vinegar? That might work. If it's really tough to get off, you may need to soak a towell in vinegar and leave it on the stain for a bit, then work it off. Maybe use a toothbrush, as well.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    or you can make a paste of equal parts vinegar and flower and cake it on. let it sit a few hrs and it should come off. thats what i used on the side of my tank once and worked wonders...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    See they do it the nice way, I take a paint scraper to mine. I have liquid rock in my faucets. I hope the tank goes perfect, im just paranoid after my 180 that held water prior to move busted after 2 weeks of water. All the bottom seems leaked.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I use white vinegar like KevinVA says and use a copper pad (these are great for SS pan cleaning) since copper will not scratch glass but will remove strong scale.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh Sandz, you're going to make me a nervous wreck!

The vinegar worked like a charm! I just put some on a towel, held it over the stain, then wiped away. :)
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast