· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it'd be nice to lay the large stump on its side and simply have the smaller pieces next to it, or just scattered throughout the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I've looked at this guy from every direction. Laying it on it's side diminishes the swirl pattern on it, and also takes away from what size it does have.

I need some BIG pieces to really fill the space in this tank successfully. Putting the pieces together helps to achieve that a little better, and also gets me close to the branchy look I prefer.

We've got about $50 more driftwood picked out for next trip that is nothing but branches. Thing is, I THINK it's man made. At least cut by man, and not found. There are a bunch of square edges where things have obviously been cut from them. I don't think they will look too bad though.

On another note, I took a short vid of my loaches during yesterday's W/C.

We had just had a BIG storm system come in that day, and I was desperately hoping to see some pairing action. I'm pretty convinced that they are still too young, but this is kind of what they do when they pair off. When they REALLY pair off, they twine together and splash across the top. If I see that happen any time, I'll most likely be setting up the 10g to see if I can get some babies. Wouldn't that be fun?
    Last edited by MandyK; 03-19-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

I need some help. This just doesn't feel right. Any ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    Like you said somethings off, maybe move the new driftwood more to the right? Your Tank is so big it's hard to get a good perspective .
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Oh oops. I know some people use aquarium safe silicone to glue tank things, but I don't know if that would hold wood.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. I'll try to be a good critic. I think it looks too fabricated. It looks like you arranged things side by side, as if you were just setting up your props to decide what to do with later. In my opinion, the enormous rock (and it is enormous - I hadn't realized it was that big, before), is taking away from the beautiful stump you have in there. The swirl in the stump is something you really want jumping out at you. That being the case, you may want to move it forward a bit, so that the perspective makes it a bit larger than it actually is. It's an awesome piece and you should really show it off.

As for the stump and branches coming off of it... ehhhhh, the way you've done it looks good, but I personally wouldn't have done it at all. I would have left the stump alone - it looks great just as it is. You could then arrange the other pieces of driftwood in the forefront.

Then, you could either lay the enormous rock sideways or at an angle and create a cave or caves with some other rocks arranged around it. Right now it's a centerpiece and I wouldn't have it compete with the stump you have there. It's not as pretty. Even sideways (longways), by itself, the rock might look a bit more impressive, as it would take up more length than height. You could angle it from the back-left to front-center - something like that.

You could also bring the stump forward and in the center, with the other pieces of driftwood in front of it and to the sides, and then have the large rock laying on its' side behind it. That might look cool, too. That'll give the tank depth and I think the rock would be a good backdrop.

Something else? You could give the right side w/ rocks more height/depth. Add some larger rocks to the rock quarry over there. Maybe move those two boulder shaped rocks from the left and stagger them within the black rocks.

The wood w/ moss on the left would make a good backdrop, as well. If you get a branch-like piece of driftwood, you could bring that forward on the left side and place that piece behind it, or lay it down. Or you could bring that over to the rock quarry and give them some driftwood shelter.

Hope you don't think that's too critical - just trying to throw you some ideas. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it definitely does. When I was reviewing my work last night, I said to my husband, "Well, I sure don't have the 'make it look natural' talent..." *sighs

I think you are spot on with the rock issue. I was thinking about it quite a bit last night, and decided that the rock was just too tall to have standing up so close to the stump. I was thinking of moving them farther apart like steeler suggested, but I think you are correct in that it's size will be better utilized on its side again.

I'm gonna have to say that I really like the branches coming off the stump. Granted I think it would be better if there were more of them, and they were longer. Hopefully I'll be able to take care of that soon.

I'm really trying to avoid putting the stump directly in the center. Even though I KNOW I'm not great at making things look natural, I'm pretty sure the first rule in nature is that nothing is centered. It just seems like too obvious a choice to me.

Good idea about the rocks. As soon as I get more sand I'm pretty positive I'm going to be taking out the quarry completely. I don't really like it at all. Those rocks look like river rocks, and don't really go with anything else I have in there. The Kuhlis love them, lol! I think they'll have to compromise with me a bit in the future though.

I think that moving the moss covered driftwood over the quarry will be nice for now. As soon as I get some other driftwood to replace it, that thing is coming out too.

Kevin, this was EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I REALLY need help in making this look decent. I know it won't be complete until I get all the extra components I mentioned, but it just isn't working as is. Maybe with someone as talented as you helping me, I'll finally get some TOTM votes!!! Lol!

I'll update later with the changes I've made.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, how about this???

SAM_2206.JPG

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast