· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You could either up the school significantly, or, exchange them for rummynose tetra. Or bloodfins?

With a tank that size I always recommend a large school of Buenos Aires tetra, but they might nip your angels too and might be a bit quick for their comfort.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    I am never in favor of Serpae/Red Minors... bleh... but im biased after they whiped out my 55gal...
    Yeah it's a funny thing with them; they work for some people and others not so much. It seems like they take after their cousins, the Piranha and single out the weakest fish to harras, than bother nothing else or as Sandz says wipe out a whole tank.

Propably nothing to worry about but keep an eye on them.
    Does sheldon look like this?
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...rn-Leghorn.jpg
    Yeah it's a funny thing with them; they work for some people and others not so much. It seems like they take after their cousins, the Piranha and single out the weakest fish to harras, than bother nothing else or as Sandz says wipe out a whole tank.

Propably nothing to worry about but keep an eye on them.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    lol, I'm glad you got it. ;P

Sandz, how'd they wipe out your 55gal? Mandy, keeping/getting rid of the Serpaes are up to you. You could try upping the school, which will peak their interest. BUT then they might continue their behavior and you'll take a loss, when you return them. Only YOU can decide the fate of your Serpaes.

What if you got rid of them and bought a school of fish, instead of clinging to a shoal? I think if I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with a big school of something that actually schools, rather than pick up a pretty red fish, with long flowing fins... pecause it's pretty. lol

I'd probably go for Congos, Columbians or Buenos Aires next time.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wish I could take your serpaes off your hands for you. i have 6 in my 30 with colombians and I've never seen even a hint of nipping. They probably can't resist the angel's fins though.
    If you do decide to trade them in, I vote for congos. Gorgeous active fish and IME they are not nippers either. Colombians are also very nice fish - not quite as flashy as the congos but still very pretty.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the input you guys. I'll keep a close eye. I'm more in favor of keeping them just because if I return them there is a high chance that they will go to someone who doesn't do their research!!! Know what I mean? And then I've foresaken them. Boooo...

I'll probably up the school before I try getting rid of anyone.

On another note, I've replaced the idea of Roselines with the Von rio tetras. I'm thinking that if I just upped my current schools + the von rios I'll have a pretty dynamic tank going on.

What can I say? I'm a tetra lover!
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    They are a magnificent family of fish. I wish mine would stay alive. lol

Good luck Mandy and keep us posted! =]

0 Not allowed!
    The Von Rio or Fame tetra has always been a favorite of mine from way back. I can't remember which book descriped their behavior "like little red butterflys".

I have not been able to find healthy stock the last few years. The times I bought them they ended up like Kevins Black Phantoms.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly Steeler! I've seen them online, and didn't care much for them. When I saw them at the store I was like 'whoa'. I love them!
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA 
    Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime 
    I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Von Rio's are cool. I wish you the best of luck with all of this...

Kev specifically how they whiped out my tank was they targetted one fish at a time and harrassed it to death. I watched it day in and out until they were the only ones left. Most of it happened at night so I didnt know what was causing it but then one morning I caught them and then on a couple other occasions but at that time it was to late.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Sheesh. That's nuts, Sandz. What other fish were in your tank? And how many were in your group? I'd love to be able to pinpoint what sets these guys off, as I've never seen it and never want to. ;P

Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast