· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Mandy's 130g Community Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, you read that right! 130g!!!

My loving husband traded his 30.06 for the tank, the stand, 2 filters, 2 heaters, light set, and some assorted stuff. I'm not sure what some of this is.

Not only did he do that, he just spent the last hour scraping algae off the glass while I worked. (I work from home)

Below we have a picture of the tank sitting out on the guy's lawn.
    SAM_1803.JPG
    What possessed the guy to sit the stand on top of the tank is beyond me. As you can see, the tank was COMPLETELY covered with algae.

Here we have a picture after my husband worked on it for an hour.
    SAM_1804.JPG

I still have lots of work to do on it. I'll try to finish up the cleaning tomorrow, and get some water in it to see if I can get a stable temp. When I get the temp where I want it I'll transfer the fish and filters.

Now for some of the stuff.
    SAM_1805.JPG

I have no idea what the two black things on the left are, and I'm pretty sure one of the heaters is shot.

Okay, guys. I'm tired. I'll get back with you on this tomorrow.

Please post any ideas you have!

Discus, here I come!
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    since discus are so sensitive i think it would be better to get heaters that you know are accurate and wont randomly die on you... might want to invest in new heaters.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ^ +1, I've said this many times, the most crucial thing with Discus is stability, water temperature definitely falls into that category. Based on experience with the product I would suggest two eheim jager 250W at each end based on the size/length of the tank, congrats on your purchase!, very much interested in seeing how this tank comes out.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow Mandy. This is great. It's going to be so much fun to follow this thread. I'll live vicariously through you. For a while I thought I wanted discus in my 90 but decided it was too much for me to try to handle. Oh, who am I kidding. I'd still love to have them. :o) But I'll just envy your set up instead.
    I wish you all the good luck in the world setting up this tank. Keep those photos coming!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The heaters look like they are the preset tetra heaters, which even if the work will only vet you to 78 degrees. There are lots of good heatera out there and they are so much cheaper online.

I think the extra stuff looks like powerheads or parts of powerheads.

Good luck on all the cleaning. Good pickup too. You can have more discus now too, you have more territory since it is a 6 foot tank.

Exclamation He's a keeper :-P

0 Not allowed!
    CONGRATS on your new tank mandy Falling in love is great isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MandyK View Post
    I have no idea what the two black things on the left are,
    They look like motors for [Tetra or Marineland] filters to me [Or brand X but they are filter motors]. The impeller goes in the hole and then the whole thing twists on to the filter body, The red O ring gasket is the seal between the filter body and the filter motor.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-04-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats again, Mandy! I told you, you could get more for that rifle. ;P

I can't wait to see the progression with this tank. I love Discus and would love to tackle them someday. Mmmm, a 6ft tank. You lucky girl, you. ;]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay, a discus journal. Good luck!

Totally agree on the heaters, get some good reliable ones you can trust.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the support everyone. :)

Heaters*
    These heaters aren't the preset ones. They each have a nob on top that you turn to set the temp. They look exactly like the one that I have in my 55g, but shorter. The guy said that they were both 300w heaters, but I'm not sure if I believe that. I mean wouldn't a 300w be bigger than the one I'm currently using? Especially if they seem to be the same type?
    At any rate I'm going to see what temp they are capable of holding. IF they hold at least 78 - 80 I'm going to go ahead and use them to switch over my current stock. I'll also use my other heater. That being said, I will NOT purchase Discus until I have a better heater.

Cleaning*
    This is not going so well. I can only get so much water to come out by syphoning, and I REALLY need it to syphon all of it. There is some kind of soily substrate in the bottom that I'm having an AWFUL time getting out. I've resorted to this method...

PLEASE HELP!
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    Im surprised the syphon hasnt pulled it all out from the bottom... I find dust pans to be my method of substrate removal lately. Or an old pitcher.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's