· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Correct. The CO2 will continue to be added to the tank, but the airstone will create enough surface agitation to gas off the CO2 so that it doesn't suffocate the fish overnight. You also won't lose any pressure that way, so when the air-pump turns off the CO2 will go back to dissolving in the tank.
    OK great, cheers, now I need to try and find an air pump that is REALLY quiet (my tank is in my bedroom).

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Unless you have some strong lighting, CO2 isn't even needed.
    What?? I have been told all plants will benefit from having co2, in fact the guy at the store told me to put the co2 in, take a picture, then a week later take another picture to compare because the difference would be that big. He the Dwarf Sagiteria I have will grow much thicker due to co2 being added.

Was it all sales crap? This guy is well known to us and someone I thought was very trustworthy for info.

BTW something im wondering about using this method for co2 is the PH, I will have to refill the container ever 40 or so days, and as it takes 24 - 48 hours for the co2 to build up surely my PH will be all over the place?
    Last edited by serbusfish; 02-04-2013 at 03:21 AM.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll defer to Lady Hobbs for a more detailed response, but "will benefit from" is different from "needed".

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it's possible the fish guy just didn't know? Give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I have a question though, reading these posts. If you have an airstone on during the day with your CO2 operating, will the CO2 still be effective, or will the airstone dissipate it too much?
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    I'll defer to Lady Hobbs for a more detailed response, but "will benefit from" is different from "needed".
    +1 Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    What?? I have been told all plants will benefit from having co2, in fact the guy at the store told me to put the co2 in, take a picture, then a week later take another picture to compare because the difference would be that big. He the Dwarf Sagiteria I have will grow much thicker due to co2 being added.

Was it all sales crap? This guy is well known to us and someone I thought was very trustworthy for info.

BTW something im wondering about using this method for co2 is the PH, I will have to refill the container ever 40 or so days, and as it takes 24 - 48 hours for the co2 to build up surely my PH will be all over the place?
    And now you are being told differntly: CO2 CAN BE a factor - It is not THE ONLY factor and as mentioned without strong lighting you don't even need additional CO2.

In combo with good lighting & ferts, CO2 can be a tremendous boost. CO2 without good lighting and ferts is not going to be what you are expecting at all.
    Good lighting and ferts can get you an amazing tank with a LOT fewer headaches than going with CO2. It's all in how much time you want to spend on maintenance in time and money.

If he suggested CO2 without quizzing you about all aspects of your lighting & ferts regimen, I would suggest that either he is either simply a salesman or doesn't actually understand what he is talking about.

Don't worry about your pH. I also wouldn't take the 40 day thing as carved in stone since you are dealing with some variables.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do dose liquid ferts and I have T5 bulbs.

I guess I will run it til it needs refilling and see if it improves my plants growth/looks, if as you say the PH changes are safe for my fish I guess I dont have anything to lose.

Im probably going to have to add a air pump though, im paranoid of waking up one morning to find all my fish dead

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my opinion. I dont think you need to do anything. There are lots of people who run pressurized CO2 using a Ph controller. The CO2 runs 24/7 and the controller determines the amount of CO2. It doesnt out gas at night because the controller keeps the CO2 level constant. If it doesnt bother them, it shouldnt bother you.

I realize you dont have the same level of control with a DIY system so I would just watch the fish and see how they react. If they're all at the top of the tank gasping in the morning, then you obviously are running too much CO2. But if they dont seem to mind it, then let things be.

Also, all plants can benefit from CO2 no matter what the lighting level is. If you're running high/med light, then CO2 becomes more of a necessity than if you have low light but that doesnt mean it has no effect in a low light tank. If you're having to fertilize, then I'd say some sort of CO2, whether liquid or DIY or pressurized would have some sort of benefit to the plants.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I diffuse my CO2 using a Duetto in tank filter. It runs on the same timer as my lights. So, when the lights are off, the Duetto is also off, meaning the CO2 isn't getting "chopped up" and more easily escapes out the surface of the tank.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well its been 4 days since setting up the co2 unit and it doesnt seem to be causing a problem for my fish at night, no gasping or any behavior out of the ordinary. So I was wondering how many plants I can have in my tank before it does become a problem? Here is my tank atm:

The red outlined are fake, the rest are real, generally how many more can I expect to get away with before co2 causes problems for my fish? I want to at least replace the red plant at the back as it doesnt really blend well with the live plants around it (IMO).

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Plants canNOT use Co2 at night; plants use oxygen when the lights are off. So, besides being a 100% waste of CO2 in your cylinder, it does stress the fish even if they appear ok. Consider a timer to control the CO2 flow control.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    Plants canNOT use Co2 at night; plants use oxygen when the lights are off. So, besides being a 100% waste of CO2 in your cylinder, it does stress the fish even if they appear ok. Consider a timer to control the CO2 flow control.
    It's not pressurized so you can't just shut it off which is why I suggested using an airpump at night.