· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default a DIY stand for 110/120 tank. lots of questions

0 Not allowed!
    ok, there is a guy that lives down the road that can build everything, outside of materals he only charges like 20.00 to do it, with school, house repairs, etc.. That sounds like a god deal to me. ok the dumb question is; Is there any type of cut or style that makes an aquarium stand suitible. like somthing a carpenter wouldnt know how to do but an aquarists would or if he makes a good stand out of 2x4 with plenty of bracing will it hold the 1200some lbs Ok next question the tank i am picking up is 60Lx19WX20.5D(height) I think the width may be off, He says it is a 120, but in picture it has 2 center braces. Either way my question is, if i get him the build it the dimensions of a 125 which i am looking for eventually, will hold both weights. I know some parts of tank wont extend to the outside frame putting pressure in the middle or near the frame. IF that makes since. anyway what is your opnion. Also I want this as a background to my fishrooms couch, So with it being not a tall version of the tank( you cant argue with free) could i make the stand a bit taller or with weakin stand OR if he builds it right will it matter.

if needed, it wont have any substrate and will be a native sunfish tank

ps.. I am waiting for you 850R
    Last edited by Angelfish11788; 02-03-2013 at 02:42 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    If he is a carpenter, tell him to frame it like you would frame floor joists, direct wood to wood contact from the tank stright down to the floor
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks cliff, now i have some "tech" terms to say to him instead of um.. you know lay the 2x4s there, lol

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just picked it up, dear lord I feel like superman. Live on a 3rd story apartment. 100 down 3 flight of stairs is no fun

0 Not allowed!
    Wouldn't worry too much. A competent carpenter just needs to know that you want to put a lot of weight on it.

Oh, and carpenters tend to appreciate a case of beer for a job well done.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and movers. lol used to help move people and family alot.. apprently there is a law somewhere stating, as i not a fan of beer but will never say no to jager or any stronger drinks, I ended up with beer always,