· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default should i consider getting a new filter

0 Not allowed!
    my bedroom tank filter had stopped sucking water into the filter box last night. ( i caught it same night). After trying to see what was wrong apparently i tapped the filter on the side the right way and the suction started going again. I refiled the water box in the filter (marineland penguin 100) and it's still running this morning.

My current filter is handling the bioload in this tank as this was a tank that i completed a fishless cycle on. I just am concerned that the filter would go out again when i'm not home to catch it. This was also the same power filter i had issues with when i put the kit together initially prior to starting my fishless cycle in the tank. it also takes forever to start it's job after i do a WC usually 5-10 minutes and i use the tank water to fill the box to start it up.

Current stocking in this tank is 6 flame tetras, 4 ornate tetras, a nerite snail and a mystery snail. I have already upped the Water changes to 50% twice a week to ensure the nitrates are kept down as that is the only thing showing any reading at this time. Both ammo and Nitrites have been Zero.

the problem is i need to either keep the same type of filter (so i can transfer the media in the box over so i don't lose my cycle or upgrade slightly to one with enough room in the filterbox to accomodate both the old A pad i have now and whatever pad they require in the filter system.

I'm open to options on this as long as i can transfer the media in the biowheel and the blue sponge over.

I would be using part of my tax refund money to get the filter. (was thinking of upgrading to a penguin 150 which is supposed to be good with up to thirty gallon tanks. penguin 150 uses a B size sponge filter though)

Thoughts?

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you could clean the impeller and bottom of the filter box . i too have had that happn but after cleaning the impeller and hole at bottom of box it has ran well for past 3 years . filter is about 10 years old and needs cleaning out 4 times a year or at least that what i do.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i don't see the impeller on mine and it did take forever to start. i will keep an eye on it. where would the impellor be in the penguin 100?

20 gallon tall - 3 paskai's neon red rainbow, 5 paskai's blue eyed rainbowfish, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 blue ninja shrimp, 6 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

Post If this is a teng and you do get a new filter - Get an AC 20 or 30 and call it a day

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    i don't see the impeller on mine and it did take forever to start. i will keep an eye on it. where would the impellor be in the penguin 100?
    It's the only moving part that's powered, When you are trying to get 'it' started.. The 'it' IS the impeller.

Look in your manual. It's diagrammed in an exploded view as part 6 on page 6. [Or here:http://www.aquariumpart.com/v/vspfil...in_manual.pdf]
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if this helps, but here is a link to the marineland website and its page for penguin filters. At the left of the page, part way down, the is a link to a video on maintaining a penguin filter.

http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...er-filter.aspx

HTH
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    on the penguin 100 hundreds you can't remove the impeller as it's built into the housing (intake tube goes in over the impeller section tried using my fluval planting tongs to reach down gently to see if i could pull it out) .

However i was able to get a clean qtip into the access slot where it is and get some of the slime off of it. then put it back together, it started up immediately. I don't know if that's because it was only unplugged for a short time, or if the slime removal actually made some difference.

Time will tell though the video taurus posted DID help

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidohari View Post
    on the penguin 100 hundreds you can't remove the impeller as it's built into the housing (intake tube goes in over the impeller section tried using my fluval planting tongs to reach down gently to see if i could pull it out) .
    You cant - YET - Try harder, They sell replacement impellers all over which obviously implies that the old ones come out: http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...-assembly.html

I suspect yours is gunked beyond belief which is obviously a factor in both its intermittent operation and the difficulty in removing it, It shouldn't have anything fibrous on it btw - some slime is ok.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-04-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    however that wouldn't have played a factor in my difficulty when i first started it up. it took me a all of one to two hours trying to figure out why it wasn't working. though i admit i never checked the impeller at the time. Do you have any suggestions on how i can try to get it out of the penguin filter. i mean they wedged it way down there at the manufacturing, and neither my fingers nor my fluval planting tongs had any effect.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice

0 Not allowed!
    I have a penguin 200 and on that it is simply a matter of removing the intake tube, Pulling up the impeller housing [Part#5 on the PDF] and plucking the impeller out. I can do it with my hand. The impeller fins aren't recessed or anything, It's one of the easier impellers to remove to be honest lol.

The schematics on the PDF I linked to look identical to what I have so I admit I am having a hard time understanding what the problem is. If it's simply a matter of room use pliers gently.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I rewatched taurus's vid again. and then saw the picture of the part from the link on the vid. I got the needlenose plyers as you suggested and was able to get it out. Yes it was really gunky. I need to do that to my gourami tank tonight if i can't get to it this morning.

THANK YOU 850R you're brilliant.

1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice