· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, so about a week later, and nothings really changed. I don't see any effects from the angelsplus sponge filter that I purchased. Supposedly it has lived in a cycled tank for about 4-6 weeks, and is suppose to help speed up the cycle.
    I'm also seeing my ammonia rates rise faster. I'm associating that to the fish getting bigger. I did a WC on Saturday, as the ammonia was up to 1.0. That's the highest I've seen it. I'm pretty much planning to do a WC every other day now. These bacteria really need to get off there butts and get to work.
    Tomorrow will be week 4 that the fish have been in the tank. I'm a little shocked I'm not seeing any signs of anything yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    OK, so about a week later, and nothings really changed. I don't see any effects from the angelsplus sponge filter that I purchased. Supposedly it has lived in a cycled tank for about 4-6 weeks, and is suppose to help speed up the cycle.
    I'm also seeing my ammonia rates rise faster. I'm associating that to the fish getting bigger. I did a WC on Saturday, as the ammonia was up to 1.0. That's the highest I've seen it. I'm pretty much planning to do a WC every other day now. These bacteria really need to get off there butts and get to work.
    Tomorrow will be week 4 that the fish have been in the tank. I'm a little shocked I'm not seeing any signs of anything yet.
    For the sake of your fish, you shouldn't let the ammonia get that high - you should really keep on top of it and change the water when you get a reading of .5, not 1.0. It's important to keep ammonia at .25 during cycling - eventually it will fall to 0 and you will get a reading for nitrAtes - you might not get a reading for nitrites if you change the water often enough.

Ammonia is probably not rising from the fish getting bigger but rather the ammonia is being allowed to build up instead of being removed via water changes - they don't grow THAT fast! LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    OK, so about a week later, and nothings really changed. I don't see any effects from the angelsplus sponge filter that I purchased..
    if during shipment they didn't provide a food source for the BB on it, then all you really bought was a "used filter"

+1 to andreahp.

gotta test daily when cycling with fish.
    anytime ammonia is over 0.25 do a water change.

not doing that will prolong the duration of your cycling experience and really hurt your fish, which can then causes diseases.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know the wait is frustrating but you've gotten great advice. cycling with fish takes twice and sometimes three times as long as a fishless cycle. I know. I've done both. Continue to test daily and as has been stated, if the ammonia and or nitrites approach .50 then you need to do a water change so you're looking at .25 ammonia during the cycle process. this could be daily or every other day for a while until the cycle completes.
    Prime is great. Stability is also a good product while doing a fish in cycle as it negates some of the harmful effects of ammonia.
    good luck and hang in there. it will happen
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    You have already gotten lots of info on the cycling and more in my links below. But another concern will be Tiger Barbs and Green Barbs in 20 gallon. Not much space for an active barb, IMO, unless you just had cherry barbs.