· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default issues getting tank to cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my tank for roughly a month now. I didn't do a fishless cycle, and after about 4 or days of having water in the tank I went out and picked up a few fish.
    It's a 20gal tank, and I have 8 fish in it. 3 green barbs, 3 tigers, and 2 peppered cats(all the fish are not full grown). Learning as I go, i've really kept on top of checking the water, and keeping the ammonia down. I'm doing roughly 20-30% WC twice a week. I'm keeping the ammonia levels around .25PPM, but nothing else seems to be taking off.
    I picked up a bio cube from angelsplus. I have that in the tank now, and am hoping that will help the process along. I also have a few live plants in the tank to help keep it clean.
    Is there anything I'm missing? doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats the downside of cycling with fish.
    it just takes forever, compared to the fishLESS route.

when i started out, not knowing any better either, i cycled with fish.
    it was my 45gallon tank and took about 2 months to cycle.

what is the current filtration on the tank? that can help/hinder a cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. As stated above, it can take time to cycle a tank with fish

Don't forget to keep and eye on your nitrites as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using the filter that came with the tank. It's a Aqueon Quiet Pro 20.
    I also just added the bio-cube from angelsplus on Friday.

I'm watching nitrites and nitrates as well. I keep getting 0's for them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    then you are still at the early stages of the cycle.

you are needing to get another filter. its recommended to have at least 2x filtration for the tank because after all the media in the filter it runs at about half power, so getting the extra keeps you properly filtered.

but as cliff said, you are doing the right things, just keep on top of the testing and water changes. it'll get there.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    FWIW, I started a 36 gallon tank just after xmas and I transferred media from my own established (2 years) 75 gallon cichlid aquarium to the new 36 gallon tank (which had 18 neons in it) and I was still experiencing ammonnia problems. I thought with some ceramic media from the existing tank; I'd have a seamless start with the new one. I was wrong.

I'm no big fan of adding a "cure in a bottle" to my tanks, but I tried a product called Stability, made by Seachem, and it worked great. Within a few days, I no longer had any detectable ammonnia and my nitrates were beggining to build. I don't have any need to promote this stuff but it works as far as I can tell. I bought a small bottle at a Petsmart for around $6, well worth it IMO.

Maybe it'll help you.

I didn't lose any fish during that time only because I was 5-10 gallon WC's every day before I bought the Stability.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As with all things fish - patience is the key (lots of frustration too) fish in cycle doing everything right is generally 6 - 9 weeks

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bissett View Post
    As with all things fish - patience is the key (lots of frustration too) fish in cycle doing everything right is generally 6 - 9 weeks
    +1 Thats about what I had on my 20 gallon... It was the longest experience ever. I had about 2 dozen guppies in there and I never want to see a guppy again.
    65 Gallon Tall 4' long Planted aquarium, Eheim 2217
    Stock: 6 Roseline's, 6 Peppered Corys, 4 Oto's, 5 Giant Danios, 4 Rosey Barbs, 2 Ruby Rams-Male-Female, 1 F German Ram, 2 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Angle Fish, 3 shrimp.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, I from another forum, I may have been treated my water with the incorrect stuff. I had been treating my water with Seachem natural regulator. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo.
    I was told to use seachem prime. I switched to that, and am going to try that to see if it helps. I'm on well water, and was told the NR would not help with the heavy metals like Prime would, and I may be stressing the tank. Also, NR doesn't help with the natural slime coat.

I did a test last night after a WC, and my levels are still
    .25 Ammonia
    0 Nitirite
    0 Nitrate.

I also did a PH test, and my water for about two weeks was about 7-7.2. My test last night showed the PH closer to 8 :( So I need to get that under control. I'll get the PH in my QT tank down to about 7.6, and do another WC.

I have live plants in my tank. Some Anacharis Plants, some Kyoto Plants, and two other random plants I put in there. I've noticed the Barbs are eating the hell out of the Anacharis. Could the plants be eating up all the Nitrates before they can read on my test? But shouldn't I have 0 ammonia if I did in fact have all the proper bacteria in the tank?

Getting worried I may hurt the fish. The tank however, is extremely clear, so thats nice :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    I switched to that, and am going to try that to see if it helps. I'm on well water, and was told the NR would not help with the heavy metals like Prime would, and I may be stressing the tank. Also, NR doesn't help with the natural slime coat.

I did a test last night after a WC, and my levels are still
    .25 Ammonia
    0 Nitirite
    0 Nitrate.

I also did a PH test, and my water for about two weeks was about 7-7.2. My test last night showed the PH closer to 8 :( So I need to get that under control. I'll get the PH in my QT tank down to about 7.6, and do another WC.

I have live plants in my tank. Some Anacharis Plants, some Kyoto Plants, and two other random plants I put in there. I've noticed the Barbs are eating the hell out of the Anacharis. Could the plants be eating up all the Nitrates before they can read on my test? But shouldn't I have 0 ammonia if I did in fact have all the proper bacteria in the tank?

Getting worried I may hurt the fish. The tank however, is extremely clear, so thats nice :)
    I doubt your plants are eating nitrates. Yes, if you have grown an adequate amount of bacteria you would have a reading of 0 ammonia - this shows you haven't grown enough bacteria.

Do not test your pH because it fluctuates during the cycling process - you will not get a consistent reading. Also, do not mess with your pH and try to lower it - that will stress out your fish - they need a stable pH (once it stops cycling).

Prime is the best, most economical water conditioner. You need less of it than other brands to do the same job.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies