· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my input on the BCT pics. The first shot would be better had the fish been centered properly. The size of the free space is off because the subject isnt centered. The space around it would be more effectively used had the subject been centered.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting to see somoene favours the dead center approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

And this gif displays the principle. To me it often looks better.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL The first shot is phallic! The second one is scenic that leads the eye into the depth of the picture. It's a subtle difference
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Especially when photographing animals, I do not prefer dead center framing unless it is looking right at me and it is the subject of my composition. Leaving a bit of space in front of the animal when composing creates a less tense feeling.

Consider these two photos
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 03-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    I don't agree that every photo should have 15-20% of free space around it.
    That is not a fix rule. That 15-20% free space comment is pretty much targeted on that shot posted by TS.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    Especially when photographing animals, I do not prefer dead center framing unless it is looking right at me and it is the subject of my composition. Leaving a bit of space in front of the animal when composing creates a less tense feeling.
    Nice. I agree that more free space should be allocated in front of the animal. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I definitely prefer the right-hand shot there. LOVELY photo.

I think if I were cropping it I might be tempted to play with a square crop. I do like the crop as it is, but my eye wavers over the space in the top-left and I'm not sure why. It's that split in the stem in the background I think. Hmmm...being VERY picky - but I guess that's what this thread is for.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I also prefer the second shot.

I feel like the extra space gives the photo a better sense of depth, and it doesn't look crowded. I also think that the extra space allows the eye to be drawn to the subject, rather than forced on it.

Pictures that have more going on than simply the subject are just more interesting in general.

EDIT-- I started replying before I went to the next page.... Lol. This was meant for the first set of pictures set to compare.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    So....

1. Tastes differ
    2. Quite a few people prefer shots that losely adhere to the rule of thirds
    3. context can be important.

I think that pretty much sums up this discussion doesn't it?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    On Aeons photo set... I like #1 better. If the subject wasnt specifically the lizard, and there was more into the shot, I would be more inclined to like shot 2 but shot 1 is much better to me. Shot 2 would be better say if the lizard was a chameleon and tounge flying toward fly or something.... Otherwise I am a subject focused person.

When it comes to scenic I like balance. The stripes of clouds in the sky detract a bit from the overall picture and the most prominent piece is best centered. Had it been more balanced with something equaly prominent I would be more apt to like that balanced approach.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's