Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see. I'll accept that explanation.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing really to report of late, did another water change last weekend, local petsmart has a $1 per ottocinclus sale that I'm trying to jump in on, I'll drip acclimate about 6 or 7 of them hopefully. Any other tips with ottos are appreciated, I have lots of algae for them to munch on. I am also still seriously thinking about the ten gallon as a shrimp tank.
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Be warned even if the conditions are perfect you'll still probably lose some of them. I had tons of algae and within two weeks they had all died for no reason that I can figure out.
    Last edited by Limming; 04-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, I have sorta read some of your threads for reference :) They are very helpful.
    Journals Here

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    On a new lighting schedule, which has had a great affect on my algae. Ive had waaaaaay less brown algae and no more cyanobacteria. No black beard algae either.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've really done it now....so here goes...
    Discovered a new fish store. They are a lot like the other one I recently discovered, but worse in its selection of plants.BUT Turns out they have the best selection of fish in the Valley, including German blue rams, apistogramma, and kitty tetras, all fish I have never seen in person before, They were all beautiful. SO naturally I had to get fish. 6 ottos, 4 black neons, 3 amano shrimp, 7 glowlight tetras, and 8 ember tetras. I moved my scissortails and 2 existing glowlights to the 30 gal, and the amano shrimp and embers are in the ten with the 4 existing ghost shrimp. Once I saw all the fish they had, I just decided, "today I conquer". I made myself commit to tank options because I had been at a cross roads for the longest time. I am really happy with my choices, too! I drip acclimated all of these new arrivals, and now they are in the tanks. Will not post pictures for awhile or else I'll jinx this feeling I have right now.
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Havn't lost a single fish or shrimp in either tank from the new introductions, leading me to confirm my belief that my beneficial bacteria in both tanks was enough to handle the bigger bioload. I was sure that the bacteria could do its thing, but it was a source of concern for me.
    Observations so far from the new fish:
    Thirty gal: Not a single fish is scared. With them all swimming around like that, no one hides.
    The bolivian is a little wary of the new arrivals, and isn't afraid to nip a little tetra every once in a while
    The glowlights are the most playful. They school and chase each other.
    The black neons are peaceful. They don't school, but occasionaly chase each other.
    The Ottos chase the glowlights. They are also very active and playful
    The scissortails go to all levels of the tank, not just mid or lower levels like the tetras. They are bigger than all the other fish, don't bother the other fish, adn don't get bothered by the other fish. They also shoal with the tetras when they can.
    In the ten Gal:
    The ghost shrimp have become more active since I took the scissortails and glowlights out of the tank.
    The amanos are REALLY good algae eaters.
    The Ember tetras are getting some confidence now as well as color, and they school throughout the tank, even where there is no plants anywhere.
    Journals Here

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did a water change, just the second one since the new arrivals have got here. They seem ok. So far, I have avoided a ton of losses in fish. I have lost 3 otos, and 1 ember tetra. 1 Oto was lost during the acclimation process. The other two I found dead stuck on the intake of my AC 50 the day after a water change; 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I was concerned that they would suck on the plastic cylander right above the intake, and unavoidably got sucked onto the intake and was unable to get free. So, I took a small piece of quilt fabric and wwrapped it around the intake. I am a little concerned that it may be blocking water flow into the filter, but it has served its purpose as a filter guard, and there have been no more oto deaths since then. If there are any other ways for a DIY filter guard, I am still looking. The intake is suspended high above the substrate, rendering most of the ideas for a filter guard I have seen useless, as they require the guard to be in the substrate.

My other loss, the single ember tetra, was predicted. He looked paler than the rest in the store, and only got paler when he arrived at the house. He also seemed to have trouble breathing, but the rest of the tetras were noormal and I had no shrimp deaths. Finally, a few days ago, he died.

Trying to find the time to dive into DIY food!
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So i made some food, and it is a great success. My fish love it. It is especially a success in the ten gallon, where the amano shrimp kick up food from the frozen pellet, and the ember tetras go crazy for it.
    Recipe: strawberries, leeks, frozen peas, broccoli, tomato, a crushed multivitamin, bloodworms, flake food, apple, and spinach. I forgot to put in zuccini. Drat. The only out of the ordinary thing is an oto death. When i came home i found him lyin on his side. His tail was down to a nubbin. I immediately checked my cory cat's tail, because he is always the first to show signs of tail rot and therefore poor conditions in the tank. But his tail was perfectly fine. Which leads me to believe that someone at it. My theory is the pleco; that the oto got in the way of the pleco eating the new food (he loves the food too) and payed the price, bwcause no other fish had tail rot. Unfortunately this morning he died. Ill try and post pics today.
    -from a mobile device.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Journals Here

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast