· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. Default Progress and dilemnas

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here is what Ive got to report.
    First off, i got a bit more java moss and small java ferns for the ten gal, and they said some cherry shrimp would be in on wednesday. That would be awesome. I want to post some pics soon, the ten gal looks a lot different than the last pic.
    Next, a lighting dilemna. The store had a bunch of T5 bulbs, the one that most interested me was a Helios daylight bulb for $10. But they did not sell dual fixtures. Huh. Any idea of how much a fixture would run me for?
    Last, what fish to get. I think I'll make a thread about this, maybe even a poll. Im considering pearl danios, neon tetras, cory cats, brilliant rasboras, harly rasboras, head and tail lights, otto cats, and siamese flying fox. Mostly common fish. Just not sure.
    Anyway, thats the update. Good evening!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking at lights for about a week now, trying to figure out what will work for my tank. Overthinking it, no doubt.
    Here's two options (I'm assuming your tank is 36" wide:
    http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...FQnznAodjgwA4Q

http://www.afishybusiness.com/produc...FQbqnAodVhoAyA

The first is an aqueon fixture, and already comes with bulbs. One is great for plants, and the other one will (as all light does) contribute to the plants but also works to make your fishes' colors "pop." It's called colormax.
    The second is a coralife fixture. It's cheaper, but you would have to get different bulbs, as it has marine ones in it.

I've found that google shopping really helps a lot. I'm pretty sure that using it, you can easily find what you want for a little over $50.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Huh! Thanks a bunch, that really does help! Yes, the tank is 30 inch. I really think that aqueon one fits all my needs. What about the way it's plugged in? Do I need anything special? When I was looking at bulbs today, I remember seeing the bulbs don't have a standard 2 prong input to the outlet, they have something weird as I recall. Nothing I'd ever seen before.
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    When I was looking at bulbs today, I remember seeing the bulbs don't have a standard 2 prong input to the outlet, they have something weird as I recall. Nothing I'd ever seen before.
    Are you sure they were T5? Might have been power compact.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, yes. Those are power compact. You'd probably have to purchase a Helios fixture, or at least a special fixture that takes those 4-pin bulbs.
    However, the Aqueon wouldn't really need new bulbs, unless you want to throw out the colormax. I've personally never used one, but it's supposed to really bring out the colors in your tank. I'd say its worth a tad less light for your plants, especially since you have the harlequin rasboras and it would really show off their red.
    Just my opinion, though.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a good opinion :) It also came with the natural daylight, and I read that is the best for plants.
    @funkman and King, the bulbs were advertised as T5, but I know one of those fixtures was 4 prong. Guess it was compact. And I can't recall exactly, but I thought the rest of the bulbs were 2 prong but still made by Helios. Is that possible?
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    T5 is a reference to the diameter of the bulb - 5/8 inch. T8 is 8/8, or one inch - and so on.
    Therefore, it is possible that they have two-prong T5 compact fluorescent bulbs. However, I don't believe these could be used on a regular fluorescent ballast. I'm sure they make standard, straight fluorescents as well if you're hooked on the Helios brand. But you're right - the natural daylight bulb is a 6700 K color temperature, which is in the range that is best for plants. So you don't need to replace either bulb.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A bad picture of the ten gallon, but the general appearance is conveyed well.
    IMGP4515.jpgUpdate on the marsilea, I have been adding a little liquid ferts and replaced the seachem fertilizer pellet in the sand beneath it. I like to think I have seen progress, meaning more green shoots in a few areas. Please disregard those dead runners. I like to stay optimisticIMGP4516.jpg
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheFeeshes View Post
    T5 is a reference to the diameter of the bulb - 5/8 inch. T8 is 8/8, or one inch - and so on.
    Well that explains it
    Then why does T5 have better output than T8? And I think it's just better to buy a new fixture.
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, they're supposed to have a longer life and be more energy-efficient, with more lumens per watt than t8. I believe the smaller size also has a different effect on the reflectors.
    As for why, exactly, it's better - I have not a clue. I'd just assume that it's because it's new technology, and newer usually means better.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast