· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What's your process there? I might look into that. Here's my story of late, relates a bit to the situation I have now.
    Last Friday, or saturday, or thursday or whenever it was, I got 3 more black neon tetras and a Bolivian Ram. I knew my cheap quarantine heater wasn't working, but I knew that fish could survive in less than 75 degree temps, I've had them at 62-65 consistently before. Plus I had some optimism that I could fix the heater (when I had turned it up to 81 degrees once, it somehow burned through the insulation and took a chunk out of the glass) with apoxy and aquarium silica, because the heater would work fine until water leaked through the glass and it became waterlogged. So when i got home, I decided not to quarantine the Ram (spur of the moment) and so far it has paid off, he looks fine. I then put the black neons in the QT. Really long story a little shorter, I was unable to repair the heater (stopped heating ) and the temp in the QT got down to 53 eventually. The fish looked fine, but I was worried. SO I put them in the 30 gal a couple days ago. Which brings us to now. Someday I'll figure it out!
    Ps- Marsilea is looking good, been turning on the CO2 for about 10 minutes right in the morning then off again. No more pH fluctuations, and I swear it's looking greener.
    Thanks for reading!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have the temp to about 86 degrees for the last couple days with lots of surface agitation, and here are my observations
    Bolivian Ram seems a little more twitchy than usual, could be attributed to surface agitation
    There has been much more poop lying around than usual
    No change in behavior in the cory, black neons, or lazy plec.
    That's all for now
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fed up. Temps been at 86-87 range for quite awhile, and now just today the rest of my black neons show up with Ich. I'm gonna try salt treatment. PLus it now looks like my cory has gotten tail fin rot pretty badly, and I don't know why. Was away from home from 6 am - 9pm, and just noticed it when I got home. Naturally, I tested everything I could test for. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 5-10 ppm, did a water change on friday. So I don't know WHAT is happening. Ugh. Any suggestions?
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A little Happier. Came home after another pretty long day, observed that most spots on the fish had disappeared. Still some, but it looks like progress. There is one tetra that isn't schooling with the rest, and looks lethargic with his gills working. All symptoms of Ich, so I'm not exactly sure what to think? But we shall see come tomorrow morning I guess.
    Treatment: Dissolved (as best I could) 12 tsps of Morton de-iodized salt in tank and added it in yesterday
    Today I dissolved about 25 more teaspoons, then added it. NOw that the dosing is over, I'll just wait. I'm planning to do a water change on saturday or sunday, no earlier.
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 03-20-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    Journals Here

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll hold off on that water change for a couple more days. The tetras are all looking soooooo much better, but still a couple white spots. With surface agitation on high, it is also crazy to notice the amount of water that has evaporated. I also have a ton of brown algae. Ottos would love it. I'm also awaiting a few ghost shrimp for the ten gallon that my brother is picking up for me (I'm too lazy to drive ). They are for algae on the marilea Hirsuta specifically, and I will drip acclimate them for the first time ever. I've got a set up right now so that when he walks in the door, I can start immediately. We'll see how it goes!
    Note: bolivian is still going strong, seems to even be turning a little orange!
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Greentoad you well get more responses if you start your own thread.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Hey Greentoad you well get more responses if you start your own thread.
    Who's thread is this

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed I was not aware I had been posting in someone else's thread But I don't really need responses, this is more of a documentary of how my tank progresses, for my own benefit above all else. Feedback is appreciated as always! However, if the issue really is pressing and urgent, I will not hesitate to start a thread, as I have done in the past as I've found I get pretty much immediate feedback. Most questions I ask on this journal can more often than not be answered with research. If I make a new thread, it means I have done my best but my question cannot be answered by research alone, some personal experience is needed or something like that. You know?

Ghost shrimp are about to be put in after 2 and a half hours! They look good! I do prefer cherry shrimp though, howver I have yet to find any here where I live...
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp Update! They are alive and well, there is always 1 or 2 out and about, while the others cower beneath a blanket of wisteria leaves or behind a rock. The fish immediately went for the shrimp as I put them in, but once they realized they were too big, they have left them alone. Pics within the next few days hopefully!
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Going to a fish store tomorrow :) and have about $15 to spend.....we all know what happens when you set yourself on a budget. You break it. I have loose plans of either getting cherry shrimp (if they have them) more java moss (this time for the ten gallon tank) some ottos, or a few more black neons. Really I am open to whatever jumps out at me, But luckily I know what I am doing in there. I am past the stage where I wouldn't trust myself to go in a lfs because I might end up blacking out and waking up 2 days later with a leporinous fasciatus in my ten gallon and wondering what happened. I now am looking at community schoolers, but with only 5 black neons in the thirty gal right now, I have a lot of possibilities for schoolers ;)
    Journals Here

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast