· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a little shrimp update...
    I set up a little 3 gallon a little while ago, with black substrate and very golden-looking low light, with a rock and some java moss, remnants of marimo moss (cladophora), and some suesswassertang. I've been using it to "select breed" some shrimp (around 10 right now) and really bring out the color. So far it has been a raging success. I have not had any breed yet, but one or two are saddled, and the shrimp look just fantastic in their reddish hues. However, with the absence of fish and assassin snails, I found upon closer inspection the presence of what I think are copepods and what I'm pretty sure are roundworms or flatworms...The copepods are funny, in their own way. The worms a little gross.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Still no babies in the three gallon, but a shrimp is berried. I've got my fingers crossed.
    Also have a baby assassin! He's in the ten gallon, and I haven't seen him eat a snail yet, but he'll find one soon enough. I'll try and get some pics of the ten gallon, the amount of shrimp I have in there right now is astounding to me, considering it has been 5 months and I have around at least 200. And to think I was worried about assassin snails eating the shrimp population! Whew.
    Journals Here

1 Not allowed!
    Great journal, just read through it all. I really like the 30 gallon community tank and the way you've stocked it. Shrimp\ember tank is also well done.
    Last edited by Taurus; 11-09-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I can't believe how much time I've spent on it, and how it looked when I first joined this forum. I love the progress, and I'm always trying to improve
    Journals Here

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm considering re-scaping the ten gallon....hmmmm.....
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, some major renovations in stocking and scape might be coming up. I have a great LFS for fish, and I'm considering switching my siamese (probably a false one actually) algae eater for a farowella catfish, and my bolivian ram for a german blue or krib, due to the Bo-ram's lack of coloration. In the ten gallon, I could get endlers, either some nice high quality ones online or lesser ones at the lfs, or celestial pearl danios, and a scarlet gem badis. Endlers are the more practical...but the badis and danios are so tempting! UGH. Decisions, decisions.
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    I highly recommend you get the "real" endlers. pet store endlers are 99% contaminated with domestic guppy genes due to interbreeding.
    Their beauty aside, the noble cause of maintaining a pure gene pool of a fish that is possibly extinct in the wild and in most cases
    hopelessly contaminated in the hobby should be justification enough. hmm. I'd love to send you some(or lots) but that is not possible.
    the celestial pearl danios are stunners too though...
    why don't you think you could have both endlers and CPDs in a 10 gal?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I COULD.... and I'm struggling to come up with a real solid reason why not I guess for me it's just price, and getting the $$'s worth. The CPD's, even at only $4 a fish here, might die on me if I don't pay more attention to them as I should (my ember tetras, unfortunately, suffered from this; I didn't give them a correct diet nor pH ), they have a reputation for being hiders in a planted tank, and, I have this impression for some reason, less adaptable to high pH than endlers. But you can't go wrong with both!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Their beauty aside, the noble cause of maintaining a pure gene pool of a fish that is possibly extinct in the wild and in most cases
    hopelessly contaminated in the hobby should be justification enough. hmm. I'd love to send you some(or lots) but that is not possible.
    It's not?
    I have been looking at endlers for awhile now, and I think they would be great in my 10 gallon tank. At this point, I just need a reason to treat myself...
    Still, overall, I don't know much about quality. Are there any real specifics I should know? Do they use the same grading system as shrimp (SS, S, etc)? Which are the best kind? (perhaps an opinionated question)
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fellas! Fellas! You'll never guess what happened...the shrimp I've been attempting to select breed in the 2.5 acrylic tank? Well, they bred. Hopefully there will be more to come! These are the shrimp that are the most red out of my stock, and look like this. IMGP4974.jpgIMGP4980.jpgIMGP4982.jpgPOTM entry.jpgIMGP4949.jpg
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations! Hopefully once your shrimp start breeding they will continue on. The reason I cannot send you endlers is because you are in the states and I am in canada. We all know what border inspection feels about living things.
    If you have high pH, the CPDs will do much better in it than ember tetras. They aren't a soft water dependent species although they can live in it too.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast