1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just attempted my first sponge filter :) used this design
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe it.
    Here is the scenario: I got cherry shrimp about 2 months ago. before that, I had a couple amanos, and before that, 4 ghost shrimp. Never once have I had an issue with water changes in terms of shrimp getting sucked up in the aqueon water changer I have.
    See where this is going?
    I remember, there was one water change that I believed I had sucked up a ghost shrimp. I attempted to take appropriate measures to save it, but couldn't find it. That's because it had never been sucked in. When I got my cherry shrimp, I was always wary of sucking a cherry shrimp; they were a lot smaller. But week after week, I became confident that there would be no issue with this, as I saw multiple cherries swim in and out of the intake with no harm done. It seems they could resist the current. Never once had I worried about the amanos; they are 4 times as big as the cherry shrimp! They know what they are doing!
    Apparently not. One got sucked in, all around the tube, and down the sink. I did all I could to stop it. Now I'm pissed, a little at myself and more at my amano. Dumb shrimp. RIP.
    Just needed to share....
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Coastal Maine! There are a lot of amazing things to do around here. Today I visited a small tilapia aquaponics system, an art museum, and scrounged around in some tide pools. I ate lobster (for the first time!) and have enjoyed truly fantastic wild blueberry tarts. I would not mind coming to live here.
    The most impressionable part on me so far was the aquaponics part. I had heard of aqua ponics (from this forum), but never have I seen it at work. There were 6 tanks of tilapia of different sizes, with a couple huge sumps, and the plumbing led to water gardens of lettuce and basil. I was really impressed by the efficiency. The tilapia and food products, I was told, become local farmer's market items.
    I would return in a heartbeat. I would love a job here!

I'm not worried about my fish and shrimp this time around. I have a fellow fish keeper house-sitting. But as always, I have my fingers crossed.
    Also, a great book I'm reading: The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 07-26-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Man you seem to get to do alot of traveling, is it job related?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a little of both, I had relatives in Lake Tahoe, none on the east coast. I have a pretty flexible schedule (I work in the field of biology), so i can get my work done at my leisure then become a tourist. I love my job lol.
    On a side note, I could not help but notice all the beer in your gifts.... tsk tsk ;)
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Funny thing is I don't realy drink, LOL, a Mikes hard lemonaid here in there is about all I drink, don't tell Sandz though, LOL.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love Mike's hard lemonade. That and marguritas. I'm a little weak hearted when it comes to them lol.
    Journals Here

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A new development in the shrimp tank, one that worries me slightly: I think I have Nematodes. This is based on my observations yesterday, when I took out one of my DIY filters that had fallen apart, and the sponge was crawling with pond snails. I put it in a bowl of water and just let it sit there, because I like to crush up pond snails and feed them to my tetras and bolivian ram, or put them in the 30 gal whole for the assassins to eventually grab. However, after looking at the bowl of water this morning, I saw a bunch of little .5 cm long white tube things around the edge that had evidently come out of the sponge. No pond snails were dead. I looked up "shrimp tank bugs" and came up with nematodes. According to my research "so far", most nematodes are harmless. But what worries me, is that when I came home last Sunday, I found a lack of mature adult size shrimp. I have found one for sure dead one, and I also found a dead assassin snail. The good news is that I have much less pond snails, and lots of juvenile tiny shrimp, ranging in size. I will do more research on nematodes to see if I should be worried. As always, I will monitor the tank closely for more deaths.
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp are looking great after a water change! So much red, so much happiness!
    In other news, I caved in and bought a siamese algae eater. I love him already.
    Also, the problem with my ten gallon....
    My problem right now.....png
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nematodes = no problem. I have had no decrease in shrimp. In fact, after a water change today, I was in awe that I had so much. They look great!
    Also transferred sponge filters for good into the 10 gal.
    While doing said water change, I came up with a few things I should have came up with long ago. You see, before I had my aqueon water changer, I had a manual siphon. I still use it now to vacuum the gravel, as it has a stronger pull that the aqueon and also can get to tighter spaces. But it is still a pain, because even though its vacuum is smaller than the aqueon, it knocks a lot of stuff around. So today, I thought, I'll take the large vacuum off. Leaving me with just basically a large tube, I was able to get even more suction and a lot of spot cleaning that I could never get before. My tank is now virtually free right now of decayed food, dead plant matter and pleco poop. I don't mean to brag, but it's possibly the best idea I've ever come up with ;)
    The second thing I did was modify my magnetic algae scraper to also hold vegetables on the side of the glass, like a veggie clip. Just attached a rubber band around the zucchini and the scraper. Again, simple, but dumb old me didn't think of it before.
    Tanks are looking pretty good right now, gotta say!
    Journals Here

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast