· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default 30 and ten gallon aquarium journals

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I always have a lot of questions about my 2 tanks, so I shall start this journal to keep track of my success and failures of the tanks. I don't really have anything to say right now, so....here are my tanks, more or less. Not much has changed since I took these pictures, just a little trimming and stuff. IMGP4252.JPGIMG_8456.jpgIMGP4253.JPG

Subscribe If you wish lol
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Is that bamboo in the tank? Does that last?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is bamboo. I bought 2 pieces awhile ago, probably a year, and eventually took one out because it seemed to be turning black. But when I took it out, it had a really good root system. The one piece I have now hasn't really grown much, but it has stayed green, which is good enough for me.
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Funny. Apparently it's not even bamboo but a dracena variety. According to what I found these can do quite well if you get the leaves out of the water. I've got a reverse problem, an anubias that tends to stick it's leaves out of the water an dthen suffers from dried out leaves.

Anyway, good luck with it, hope your second one lasts longer than the first

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's really cool to know, Interesting information. I actually put that first bamboo in one of my HOB filters for the thirty gallon, because I heard it would help keep nitrate low. It didn't. My nitrate only declined when I bought my aquaclear 50 lol. But anyway, the so called "bamboo" has turned a little more black and a little more yellow since the move to the HOB. I had heard that they grow better if their leaves are out of the water. The bamboo hasn't actually grown though, but I attribute that to the fact that there is no substrate in my aqueon quietflow 30. If there was, it would probably grow. But it has kept its root system, so it's not totally dead. The 3 HOB's I have in my 30 gallon are an aqueon quietflow 30, an aquaclear 50, and something that I've decided is a Tetra Whisper PF 10.

In other news, I am in the midst of 2 projects. The first one is improving the cave in the 30 gal. I will make it a bit wider and taller. The second is a DIY CO2 system for the 10 gallon. In 4 days since I have attempted the project, I have failed. I used the yeast method in a 2 liter bottle, with 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. I didn't get any bubbles in the tank from the airhose, so I added more yeast. This resulted in much activity in the 2 liter bottle, but nothing through the air hose. So I decided the problem must be the seal attaching the hose to the bottle lid. I am now redoing the seal. Will post pics soon, hopefully of each. And maybe a better pic of the 10 gallon, eh?
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    Better pics are always good.

Some plants can do wonders on nitrates. I added amazon frogbit and a month later I thought my test was wrong. I was down to 0 nitrates. I now have to manage it to leave some over fo rth erest.

DIY CO2 can be tricky. A good seal is important. 2 cups of sugar on half a teaspoon is far too much. YOu're enterign the territory where it acts as a preservative and kills the yeast. With a proper mix you see activity in 15 minutes at least.

7. Default Progress and dilemnas

0 Not allowed!
    Well, here is what Ive got to report.
    First off, i got a bit more java moss and small java ferns for the ten gal, and they said some cherry shrimp would be in on wednesday. That would be awesome. I want to post some pics soon, the ten gal looks a lot different than the last pic.
    Next, a lighting dilemna. The store had a bunch of T5 bulbs, the one that most interested me was a Helios daylight bulb for $10. But they did not sell dual fixtures. Huh. Any idea of how much a fixture would run me for?
    Last, what fish to get. I think I'll make a thread about this, maybe even a poll. Im considering pearl danios, neon tetras, cory cats, brilliant rasboras, harly rasboras, head and tail lights, otto cats, and siamese flying fox. Mostly common fish. Just not sure.
    Anyway, thats the update. Good evening!
    Journals Here

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking at lights for about a week now, trying to figure out what will work for my tank. Overthinking it, no doubt.
    Here's two options (I'm assuming your tank is 36" wide:
    http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...FQnznAodjgwA4Q

http://www.afishybusiness.com/produc...FQbqnAodVhoAyA

The first is an aqueon fixture, and already comes with bulbs. One is great for plants, and the other one will (as all light does) contribute to the plants but also works to make your fishes' colors "pop." It's called colormax.
    The second is a coralife fixture. It's cheaper, but you would have to get different bulbs, as it has marine ones in it.

I've found that google shopping really helps a lot. I'm pretty sure that using it, you can easily find what you want for a little over $50.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Huh! Thanks a bunch, that really does help! Yes, the tank is 30 inch. I really think that aqueon one fits all my needs. What about the way it's plugged in? Do I need anything special? When I was looking at bulbs today, I remember seeing the bulbs don't have a standard 2 prong input to the outlet, they have something weird as I recall. Nothing I'd ever seen before.
    Journals Here

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    When I was looking at bulbs today, I remember seeing the bulbs don't have a standard 2 prong input to the outlet, they have something weird as I recall. Nothing I'd ever seen before.
    Are you sure they were T5? Might have been power compact.