· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't trust your rainwater then that's not an option. You could see about rigging a pre filter with some zeolite, see what that does. Can't helpy ou with your filter I'm afraid, never seen that one.

0 Not allowed!
    Curious about the filters. Whisper filters can be a HOTB or internal. Their internal filters are horrible at oxygenating a tank. I have one on my 5 gallon and always use an air stone when using it. They also do not drive off the undissolved gasses after a water change due to their poor circulation.

If you are using two 20 Whisper HOTB's instead of the internals, those filters are for 10-20 gallons with the 20 being the max. Filters are good for just about one/half of what they state they are good for so........to me........both of your filters are adequate for about a 10 gallon tank.

Prime is a "regular" dechlorinator but is one of the best because it's concentrated so takes far less to use it than all of the others. I have used nothing but foam in several filters. Some just do not have room for foam and bio-max and since foam fine-filters, I have opted for the foam. I use bio-max if I have room.

I suspect due to all the ground water you had, the water company is treating heavily right now. That little bit of ammonia should not hurt anything so either your chlorinator is not working fast enough, the filters not oxygenating fast enough or the temp is not correct for those fish.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Rain water? That is a heavily polluted source not suitable for a closed environment like a tank.

Also, if the fish are stressed and on the bottom after a water change, very likely the pH has dropped/raised over the limit of 0.2. If so, that is the problem. As for an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm, I would wonder if that would stress them so fast.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-03-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Idk what else it could be. I'll re-check the pH of my tanks and the tap. @Lady Hobbs, I know we've discussed this before. Both my 10 gallons have 20 gallons worth of filtration on them. I don't think they're the issue. Because like I said any other time its fine. I just don't have an over abundance of filtration to eat the ammonia in the tap before my fish are really effected. Maybe it is the pH. I have no clue but I'll test and find out. Also my filters are HOBS not internal filters. I'm going to buy some more filter media tomorrow and add it and try it out and see how it does. I'll also be purchasing some prime.

Default Prime is a good call.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56 View Post
    Idk what else it could be. I'll re-check the pH of my tanks and the tap. @Lady Hobbs, I know we've discussed this before. Both my 10 gallons have 20 gallons worth of filtration on them. I don't think they're the issue. Because like I said any other time its fine. I just don't have an over abundance of filtration to eat the ammonia in the tap before my fish are really effected.
    You're not getting it..
    This IS exactly why we say you are underfiltered. Period. 'Over abundance' is not what you are shooting for, The term is 'adequate' and you don't even have that..

[It doesn't matter what the tank size or filter size numbers are supposed to be] The results are showing you very very clearly that you are underfiltered & a larger BB colony IS the solution.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    Rain water? That is a heavily polluted source not suitable for a closed environment like a tank.

Sorry but no. There's people from all over the world here. Some will have perfectly usable rainwater.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    there are people all over the world.

however, unless you are in remote country land with vast area between the next biggest city...
    your rain water is likely to be heavily polluted.

but generally those remote people are using well water.

and the OP lives in New Jersey. there isn't place in that state that is remote enough for "un polluted" rain water. lol

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Ignoring some of the things said. I went out today and bought Prime, fluval biomedia stones, zeolite crystals and more turtle food for my baby turtles c:

So far my plan is to do a layer of fluval biomedia stones on the bottom of the filters, then a layer of pillow stuffing, then zeolite crystals, then more pillow stuffing, the a bit more fluval biodmedia to sort of weigh it all down.. This would be done in 3 tetra whisper filters that do not have tops. And with what has been said and all the hateful and sort of rude comments and messages I keep getting about my filtration. I've decided I am going to set up my eheim 2013 canister 60 gallon filter on my molly tank and move one, of my 10 gallon whisper filters over to my other 10 gallon gourami tank.

My only issue is flow. My filter tube that blows the new water into the tank on the eheim filter has a long nozzle the makes like 6 individual streams, that when put horizontally above water resemble a waterfall. Is there any way to shrink down the flow? Or do you think my molly and platy won't mind? Also will removing one of the 10 gallon filters after adding the eheim effect the levels in the tank? As the new filter won't be established? Or will the sheer size of the new filter keep the levels in check?? I don't really have any way of adding old media to my eheim as my old filters take cartridges... Should I just scrap some of the gunk off the filters and put it into the eheim???

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carapar56 View Post
    Ignoring some of the things said. I went out today and bought Prime, fluval biomedia stones, zeolite crystals and more turtle food for my baby turtles c:

So far my plan is to do a layer of fluval biomedia stones on the bottom of the filters, then a layer of pillow stuffing, then zeolite crystals, then more pillow stuffing, the a bit more fluval biodmedia to sort of weigh it all down.. This would be done in 3 tetra whisper filters that do not have tops. And with what has been said and all the hateful and sort of rude comments and messages I keep getting about my filtration. I've decided I am going to set up my eheim 2013 canister 60 gallon filter on my molly tank and move one, of my 10 gallon whisper filters over to my other 10 gallon gourami tank. I wouldn't bother with all that Just add the fluval biomedia [THE most important addition] and some floss.

My only issue is flow. My filter tube that blows the new water into the tank on the eheim filter has a long nozzle the makes like 6 individual streams, that when put horizontally above water resemble a waterfall. Is there any way to shrink down the flow? Or do you think my molly and platy won't mind? Also will removing one of the 10 gallon filters after adding the eheim effect the levels in the tank? As the new filter won't be established? Or will the sheer size of the new filter keep the levels in check?? I don't really have any way of adding old media to my eheim as my old filters take cartridges... Should I just scrap some of the gunk off the filters and put it into the eheim???
    If the EHEIM will keep the levels in check depends entirely on what you are using in it. I see it having no issues whatsoever using any good media.

The spraybar won't affect the fish at all & if you cannot manage to get some seed material you will have to cycle the EHEIM just as you would any other filter.
    Do not remove the old filter until the new one is cycled [4 to 6 weeks]. Or you could fishless cycle it quicker with a trash can or something.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'll set it up and work on cycling it normally. Do I have to add fiber or cloth pads in the filter, or will pillow stuffing suffice? Or could I take a large cartridge for my whisper filter and cut it to fit in the eheim? Would that work?