· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Blue Rams Fighting

0 Not allowed!
    My blue rams are fighting alot, could it be because i reduced their food to once a day for my tank to finish cycling? they are 2 females its a 29 gallon, i would say medium amount of plants, a rock shelf, and a pot thing, their a pic on my page. Any help would be great! i know their cichlids but im a beginner so i posted here lol
    29 Gallon: 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Glowlight Tetras, 2 Pleco, and 2 German Blue Rams!!

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Cycling tanks are stressful.
    - What are your parameters? When was your last water change?

Feed reduction if you were feeding adequately before with no leftovers could be a contributing factor.
    - Are they fighting mostly at feeding time or other times? Was there an issue of extra food or are you now underfeeding them?

The amount of cover and individual territory space is a factor especially with the type of fish you have chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter2284 View Post
    their a pic on my page.
    And (this is a personal peeve of mine)... no. If you want me to look at a photo about your specific issue, please include it or a link to it in your post.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im about to do a water change right now, my nitrites are high but went down dramatically after my last WC yes their was left over food usually but my pleco usually came out and got the rest off the ground (along with the rams pecking here and there). it seems like one will go out of its way (across the tank) to go after the other. the picture is also my avatar. (added two moss balls sense then)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i'll just agree with what was said.

blue rams are the wrong fish to cycle with. they are not hardy enough to go through such a thing.

but after digging for your picture, you don't have adequate "barriers" for the two rams.
    cycling with sensitive fish doesnt go well, can cause aggression
    2 males will do this, but i'm not set on your knowing the true sex of the fish.
    and feeding.

plus in your picture, you have an angel...angel and rams don't mix well in a tank that small

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    i'll just agree with what was said.

blue rams are the wrong fish to cycle with. they are not hardy enough to go through such a thing.

but after digging for your picture, you don't have adequate "barriers" for the two rams.
    cycling with sensitive fish doesnt go well, can cause aggression
    2 males will do this, but i'm not set on your knowing the true sex of the fish.
    and feeding.

plus in your picture, you have an angel...angel and rams don't mix well in a tank that small
    The angle died a few days ago :/ what do you mean by adequate "barriers" i thought i had enough stuff in there lol also they are 2 females :p

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    rams like dense planting with lots of hiding holes and normally aggression comes from males with territory How are you so sure you have female?
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by daimen123 View Post
    rams like dense planting with lots of hiding holes and normally aggression comes from males with territory How are you so sure you have female?
    they both have red/ pinkish bellys, black on the pelvic fins, and blue in their black dot on their sides, also, on a side note i just got home and it night time but i had to turn on my light in my room for a bit and i went an looked at them and they were really pale, is that normal? they usually color up in the morning tho

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had 2 GB rams in my 29 gal - one, I thought was a female and one a male. turned out to be 2 males. I had adequate sight barriers and hiding holes and yet the larger of the two nipped at the other one's tail mercilessly. before I realized how bad it had gotten, the tail was in shreds. I had to home them in 2 different tanks. fortunately both are mature tanks and they both survived and the tail on the smaller on (which eventually totally fell off) grew back.
    Moral of this story is: if you have aggression now it's most likely only going to get worse. And the difficulties of having rams in a cycling tank are huge because they are so sensitive. Your angels dying was most likely due to high ammonia and or nitrites. You need to be testing daily with an API liquid kit and any time the ammonia and nitrites approach .50 do a 50% water change. If you do you may save the remaining fish. But, you most likely need to get one of those rams out of there asap.
    Until you can do that, try rearranging the landscape so if territories have been established, they might get busy figuring out a new territory and leave each other alone for a while. and add more barriers for them to hide in or behind. leave the lights out to help calm also could help.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I had 2 GB rams in my 29 gal - one, I thought was a female and one a male. turned out to be 2 males. I had adequate sight barriers and hiding holes and yet the larger of the two nipped at the other one's tail mercilessly. before I realized how bad it had gotten, the tail was in shreds. I had to home them in 2 different tanks. fortunately both are mature tanks and they both survived and the tail on the smaller on (which eventually totally fell off) grew back.
    Moral of this story is: if you have aggression now it's most likely only going to get worse. And the difficulties of having rams in a cycling tank are huge because they are so sensitive. Your angels dying was most likely due to high ammonia and or nitrites. You need to be testing daily with an API liquid kit and any time the ammonia and nitrites approach .50 do a 50% water change. If you do you may save the remaining fish. But, you most likely need to get one of those rams out of there asap.
    Until you can do that, try rearranging the landscape so if territories have been established, they might get busy figuring out a new territory and leave each other alone for a while. and add more barriers for them to hide in or behind. leave the lights out to help calm also could help.
    Good luck
    See the funny thing is, the smaller one is the more aggressive one lol

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    couldn't have said it better fishmommie.

to the OP: i was in the same boat with understanding barriers in aquariums.

check out scottishfish's photo album in the the pictures thread-specifically page 4, where he shows a picture his entire tank.
    that's a prime example of how to properly get barriers in the tank.
    i'm currently setting up my 40b to mimic that as ill have multiple dwarf cichlids in it.

but when i got my rams, i thought i had a m/f pair, turned out it was m/m and the smaller one killed the bigger one.

thats the thing about rams-they still are cichlids and have that mentality.