· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 20 Gallon H Tank Journal - newbie

0 Not allowed!
    After some great advice from some members here and some reasearch, I've bought the following to start my aquarium

- Top Fin 20 Gallon(high) Aquarium hood/combo(PetSmart)
    - Marineland LED full hood. 24x12
    - Seachem Prime 500ml
    - 25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System
    - Gulfstream Tropical AGU030SM Mag-Float Glass Aquarium Cleaner, Small
    - AquaClear 50 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed
    - EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 125W
    - 25 Lb Black Gravel
    - 5 Lb Assorted Gravel
    - 4" Fish net
    - API Freshwater Master Test Kit
    - Ammonia

Decorations
    - GloFish Barrels Ornament
    - GloFish Rock Ledge Ornament
    - 3 x GloFish Large GITD Plastic Plants

I will start the fishless tank cycle this weekend and update this thread with some pics both before starting and once the tank is set up and running the cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    No plants?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just the Plastic Plants for now.. I don't know much about plants in an aquarium, but am open to suggestions.

0 Not allowed!
    Cabomba, eloda or water sprite are pretty much bullet proof and good starter plants. Perhaps worth a go?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Cabomba, eloda or water sprite are pretty much bullet proof and good starter plants. Perhaps worth a go?
    Sure!!! I'll give it a try. Would a pet store have them? How many of each? I can return the glowfish plants

Will they be fine with the gravel that I have?

0 Not allowed!
    Or not. If you like the glowfish plants then keep them as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabomba_aquatica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elodea

Are sold pretty much anywhere. Extremely easy. Weigh down with a weight or a few pebbles with the last inch or so in the gravel and it will grow. Don't gravel vac too closely to it and it should do fine.

Water sprite, http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla....aspx?pid=005A , does better with some nutrients like a root tab but even without it can still grow quite well. Last time I tried this plant I removed it because it grew so incredibly fast. Also works as a floater.

The first two are extremely common, dead cheap and good beginners plants. The third is a little less common and perhaps a touch more expensive. None require special additions or knowledge.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so finally set up the tank. Running the filter and heater to get it to the correct temperature and will then cycle the tank. I'm thinking if doing it with a fish. I know. A fish less cycle may be better but I don't know if I have all that patience lol. The young lady at the fish farm explained to me what she does when she gets her fish in and recommended a product that will help add Bactria. I'll give it a try and stay on top of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and only get 1-2 fish in the meantime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The bigger benefit of cycling without fish is that you can add all your fish at the same time when you are done. If you cycle with 1-2 weeks at the end of your possible 6 week cycling time you will only have enough bacteria for those couple fish. You will have another 6 weeks of heavier water changes everytime you add fish.

I only cycle fishless now,love the fact I only have to do one large water change at the end and am ready for fish.

I am not saying you cant do it with fish, it just winds up being less physical work without fish.

Good luck.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I hear you. I am still debating it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10Godiva View Post
    The bigger benefit of cycling without fish is that you can add all your fish at the same time when you are done. If you cycle with 1-2 weeks at the end of your possible 6 week cycling time you will only have enough bacteria for those couple fish. You will have another 6 weeks of heavier water changes everytime you add fish.

I only cycle fishless now,love the fact I only have to do one large water change at the end and am ready for fish.

I am not saying you cant do it with fish, it just winds up being less physical work without fish.

Good luck.
    Ok, I think I'm going to stave off temptation and cycle without fish. It will also give me more time to plan out what fish to stock the tank with. Thank you for your advice.