· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Did a VERY short experiment (as it turned out): I turned off the UGF's for two days wondering if I'd see any effect.

Wow, did I! Discus are VERY messy eaters and feeding five times a day (young) covers the tank bottom in fine food and a lot of solid waste (all sizes on that.) Since I get home late, I clean the bottom by vacuuming only once a day but after two days, my sand substrate was turning a light brown color (or colour for the UK people) in a lot of places (very fine food and fish solid waste.) This does not occur at all with the UGF running. That unit keeps those fine particles from getting down into the substarte where they are difficult to remove. Not doing that again!

This overall experiment - reverse flow UGF's - is working exactly as I suspected it would. My tank substrate is far cleaner (stays very white) and the tank clean up is more effective. This has, as I posted before, reduced the tank's phosphates from a more typical 1 -2 ppm (with the algae scrubber) to just 0.5 ppm! That is a factor of four improvement.

This new filter setup has also, to date, prevented any BGA from developing - for me, that was a problem unless I did daily water changes of 50%; but then, when my tap nitrates were holding at 10 ppm (they have dropped to under 1 ppm of late), those water changes weren't helping my nitrates, just phosphates. So while BGA did not start, the fish were not in water anywhere as clean as proper for discus.

So, overall, an algae scrubber and reverse flow UGF (not operating as a bio-filter) can hold my phosphates and nitrates to well under 1 ppm even with my huge bioload in the 75 gal tank. Better still, I have reduced my water changes yet have, at the same time, dramacticly improved my water quality. Win/win for both me and the discus ... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-27-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Cermet, take some pics of the UGF reverse set up. I would love to see how you have accomplished this.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Here are some more pics. The first and third are repeats for this thread and show the reverse flow undergravel filter power head with its intake spongae. The second is the standard canister (dark blue) and nitrate bio-reactor (filter from hell; dual canisters that are light blue); the third is the algae scrubber (in tank); and last is the tank. Due to wood, the intake pipes for the UGF, canister and bio-reactor, as well as the algae scrubber are not really visible. This is an older pic since, for resons that make no sense, the new pic will not load. That had plants which are a bad idea with near zero nitrates and phosphates ... so I moved them all to another tank. This one now has far more wood and a few plastic plants.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-28-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to update this Sundays tank parameters:

The nitrates have dropped a lot and are now under 0.2 ppm

The phosphates have also dropped compared to last's weeks high value and is now only 0.5 ppm

These are rather good values and are due to getting back to the standard weekly cleanings (W/C once a week and doing about 50%) and daily vacuuming at night - I do miss some vacuumings during the week.
    Considering the VERY heavy feedings done four to six times a day and how messy discus are, these are extraordinarily low values.

I would like to add that this was a rather expensive approach to avoid water changes but if my tap nitrates ever climb again, a very good way to deal with that issue; nice to have this system up and certified.
    The singular advantage with this system over most large water changes and any other common method to reduce phosphates to acceptable levels for discus and this method works without massive water changes and still allows me to have a sand substrate. (I may consider a plant aquarium - feeding nitrates would not be a big deal and it would be interesting to see if I could keep the plants healthy. Would need to return to my old lights for plants since this diode hold is not for plants.)

What I really like now about this solution is the tank’s phosphates are far lower (o.5 ppm vs. 3-5 ppm) than I normally had experience with more often (bi-weekly) and larger water changes.
    Best of all, I have zero blue-green algae problems (which really was an issue with the bi-weekly water changes) nor is algae of any type trying to grow. This, more than anything is the best benefit for me - not the discus since algae means little to them but low nitrate and phosphate water is critical for their health.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    This set up sounds great. I am glad you found a good solution to keep a planted tank with no or little to no issues.