· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry not trying to sound arrogant or unappreciate of the advice. I want to learn and really like the idea of keeping fish. And I appreciate that you have long time working knowledge that is why I came here.

I guess in post you miss alot of the back storey which can be deciving or leave bits out. Long story shortened the gold fish were aquired by a friend that was taking down her tank with the plan that they will be going to a pond but he wanted to wait until summer to add them. Stupid on my part now the the temp thing was pointed out he is going to be taking them sooner to a cool water tank he has so that will be taken care of. I was trying to cycle my tank and the advise I got from my dad was a couple of fish to cycle was how he has done it it the past. So I thought it would help the homeless gold fish out and cycle my tank at the same time. But then I got to over zealous and started adding fish to quickly...
    As for the sharks the tank they are ultimalty destined for is almost complete, its a custom tank 130 wide x 45 deep x 40 Tall. Being filled in the next few days and started up. I dont know how many gallons that is, but I would think that would be big enough. It looks massive. But they are much to tiny at 1 inch to go there yet, they would be eaten by his bigger fish he has. The site I was looking at was aqadviser.com
    When every one has left to their permenet spots I will be left with the pictus, raphael, and a pleco in the 150 gallon. Which should be here next week some time for cleaning and start to look at setting it up.
    Sorry if I was being over sensitive but I have a plan... and its not loosey goosey of one day I can afford... I have the tank its just a work in process. And I dont want to always badger my dad with every question I have and wanted to be apart of a communitiy and start to build my own knowledge as well.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I would really love to see pictures of that tank! A 1012.99 gallon tank is impressive, but in my opinion still not big enough for an iridescent shark. They get pretty big.

Here is a bit more reading for you: http://www.tankterrors.com/top-10-fi...your-aquarium/
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, that still isn't a big enough tank.

thank you mommy for imbedding the pictures this time, so the OP can see how big their fish will get.

you said the tank is empty in the garage getting cleaned, now you say it'll have the other fish in there from your father?
    what fish does he have that you will keep?

Please do send a picture of the tank. If it really is that big, and other fish are in there,
    you'll need a 300gallon grow out tank for the 1000 gallon main tank.

the sharks simply don't belong in a tank less than 2500gallons.

and aqadvisor is a good reference for calculating your stocking levels, however, i know for a fact that if i said I had one of your fish, just 1 and put that into my 45gallon tank with no other fish, it says i'm massively overstocked and that it cannot fit.

i understand you are in a predicament here, but you really need to return the fish and start this right.

the right plan, the right fish can go a long way to a happier healthier aqauarium.
    trust me, i went through the hard way too, and by returning certain fish, it's made a big big difference.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OMG is the bottom one an irrdensent of the Pangasius. I have never seen one that big... the largest one I have seen was 2 feet! I will upload pic of my dads tank once its filled.... it litterly takes up a whole legnth of their dining room. He had a tank years ago when I was a toddler and if I stood it it it was as deep as I was tall. My mom had gotten ill a few years back and he abandoned the hobby but has gotten back into again 15 years later. Still can not belive how big they are... makes you wonder why they do sell them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes, that really is the fish you bought 2 of.

their natural length is to grow at least 4 ft.
    putting them in either tank risks their health by stunting their growth. and what stunting their growth means. you take the internal organs of that bottom picture, and it it into 2 ft. the fish will suffer and die a slow painful death because their organs are 2x bigger than the size of the fish.

but please answer the question to the current stock he has.
    we all thought you were getting the tank empty and no other fish, now you are getting the tank with his fish. so that is vital information

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, the only market they belong in is the one where you are buying dinner, not the one for stocking a tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    They get 4 ft long on average, so you see, that is why I was saying they just get too large to keep. And, they will eat everything else you have. I agree with you there..........they have no business selling them. They are not even a shark but a big, fat catfish! Bala Sharks are also not sharks......just called sharks.......and another fish that doesn't belong in tanks unless they are huge tanks. Another one to stay away from.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    yes, that really is the fish you bought 2 of.

their natural length is to grow at least 4 ft.
    putting them in either tank risks their health by stunting their growth. and what stunting their growth means. you take the internal organs of that bottom picture, and it it into 2 ft. the fish will suffer and die a slow painful death because their organs are 2x bigger than the size of the fish.

but please answer the question to the current stock he has.
    we all thought you were getting the tank empty and no other fish, now you are getting the tank with his fish. so that is vital information
    I am not taking any of his fish... he is getting the two irridescents from me. That will leave what I have for the 150 g tank which will be the pictus, raphael and the pleco that are in my 20 gallon now.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 150 gallon tank my dad gave me is in my garage, it had no fish its an old tank he had that he has not used in a long time. Once its cleaned my 20 gallon is going into this one.

His custum tank is in his house. I am not taking any of his fish. He is taking the two irridescents when they got big enough for his tank. I am going to show him the pic though, I dont know if he realizes how big they should get. His main tank is bigger then the 150 g tank he gave me but I am not sure what size it is.

on aqadvisor it gives you the option to put in the size of the fish you have to tell you your current stock level by the fishes size, but does advise you they will out grow your tank. So you are correct if you use the adult sizse of the fish it will show that your extremly over stocked.

Am I okay with the pleco, pictus and rapheal in the 150 g tank? And if I am can I still get a couple of mid aquarium swimmers?

It actually makes me mad that they sell these poor fish that only have a fate of illness because of cramped spaces. It really should be against the law.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I can see why. That is crazy that they even sell a fish that can get that big?!