· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b View Post
    Not necessarily true depending on the filter...I have been using cartridge filters for a while and the Aqueons have this plastic stuff that never comes out with a ton of surface area for BB growth. You do lose some of it in the cartridge but as long as you don't ever clean off the plastic casings in there (blue pieces if its aqueon) then you should be ok. Also don't change those nearly as often as the package suggest just rinse the cartridge off in tank water.

That being said, to help out you can do what i just did to my larger aqueon and get a media bag with small filter media pieces and stick it in behind where the cartidge fits, or modify the cartridge to remove the carbon & replace wqith crushed traditional filter media so you can effectively never replace it and never deal with loss/partial loss of cycle. From what I read more surface areas that is never removed/disintegrated without affecting flow the better.

That stock list is wild though even if it's temporary.
    I'm not to sure that I am understanding you correctly. What exactly is this "plastic stuff" that never comes out ???
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixxie75 View Post
    So will it spike everytime I remove the cartridge to clean the filter?
    As Lady Hobbs stated, the instructions that come with filters will tell you to replace the cartridge about every 1-3 months - there is no need to do that - merely wash it out in used tank water to retain as much bacteria as possible.

In the meantime, how often are you changing the water in this tank and how much at a time?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn00b View Post
    Not necessarily true depending on the filter...I have been using cartridge filters for a while and the Aqueons have this plastic stuff that never comes out with a ton of surface area for BB growth. You do lose some of it in the cartridge but as long as you don't ever clean off the plastic casings in there (blue pieces if its aqueon) then you should be ok. Also don't change those nearly as often as the package suggest just rinse the cartridge off in tank water.

That being said, to help out you can do what i just did to my larger aqueon and get a media bag with small filter media pieces and stick it in behind where the cartidge fits, or modify the cartridge to remove the carbon & replace wqith crushed traditional filter media so you can effectively never replace it and never deal with loss/partial loss of cycle. From what I read more surface areas that is never removed/disintegrated without affecting flow the better.

That stock list is wild though even if it's temporary.
    Thanks that is good to know, I am using an aqueon and I had taken out the plastic pc when I changed the cartrige.
    Last edited by Pixxie75; 02-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When the spike wat peaking I was changing 1/2 every day. Now that the nitrite and nitrate are showing zero I am doing 25% a couple times a week. This particlar filter was suggesting to change the filter a couple times a month I think. I will have to re read the instructions.
    When i clean out the filter do I take water from the water chagne and rinse in a bucket; not in the tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Most of the problem is your stock. You are WAY overstocked for a tank of that size and I "assume" you have a filter adequate for a 20 gallon. In other words, the filter is also not adequate for your stock. Sorry, but you do not have even one fish that belongs in that tank. Everything should be returned and you should only buy stock that works for 20 gallons..........and do not stock the 150 gallon until you have the 150 gallon.

Goldfish do not work with warm water fish and iridescent sharks will not work even in a 150 gallon tank. Start over and do this right and prevent lots of headaches down the road.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I'm not to sure that I am understanding you correctly. What exactly is this "plastic stuff" that never comes out ???
    That's simply that hard, plastic foam we see in some filters in a little frame. All it's good for is some coarse filtering. It's plastic so I don't see it holding much bacteria. I removed them from any filters I had that held them and added a bit of foam instead......real foam, not plastic foam.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Most of the problem is your stock. You are WAY overstocked for a tank of that size and I "assume" you have a filter adequate for a 20 gallon. In other words, the filter is also not adequate for your stock. Sorry, but you do not have even one fish that belongs in that tank. Everything should be returned and you should only buy stock that works for 20 gallons..........and do not stock the 150 gallon until you have the 150 gallon.

Goldfish do not work with warm water fish and iridescent sharks will not work even in a 150 gallon tank. Start over and do this right and prevent lots of headaches down the road.
    When you do the math my tanks stocking level is at 63%. I am very aware of the need to move to the 150 gallon tank in a short period of time. I appreciate your advice of not stocking a tank until you have the tank set up. Tanks are costly and sometimes with the best intentions money could delay aquiring a tank in time. Mine will be in the garage for a cleaning in the next 2 weeks as I have it I am just waiting on it shipping so to speack. Thank you for your concern it shows you care deeply about your hobby and the welfare of the fish.

You did assume wrongly my filter is a larger filter and the filtration capcity to the comapnies specs, the amount of water and my stock is at 163% so I am good there for a while yet.

When their sizes increase and my stocking level is nearing 90% the 150 gallon will be ready for them.
    Where my knowledge was shaking was how the cycling worked and I was trying to reach out to a fourum of hobbyist that would have working knowledge that was current.
    I am sorry if you find what I am doing as offensive in some way.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    That's simply that hard, plastic foam we see in some filters in a little frame. All it's good for is some coarse filtering. It's plastic so I don't see it holding much bacteria. I removed them from any filters I had that held them and added a bit of foam instead......real foam, not plastic foam.

LOL, I did the same thing as you years ago so I complete forgot about the black sponge-like thing.

To the OP, you are being offered some advice by members with decades of real first hand experience. I would suggest you give that some more thought. That would likely be a lot better than using a computer program to calculate percentages or following manufacture's recommendations in your current situation. We are all just trying to make sure you have a successful aquarium(s). Try not to take offense to any advice given here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Pixxie......I apologize if my post sounded grumpy. That was not my intention at all but I was simply trying to be honest with you to prevent problems for you and your fish later on. There simply is no way to ignore that the stock is the major problem and that stock will not work even in a 150 gallon tank.

http://voices.yahoo.com/iridescent-s...95.html?cat=53

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to know what program/site/book/person/rule of thumb/whatever said this, "I have a 20 gallon tank and have 2 goldfihs, 2 irredesent sharks, 1 pictus, 1 pleco, 1 rapheal catfish", was only 63% stocked.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.