· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Is that going to be it for a spike in nitrites/nitrates???

0 Not allowed!
    Well I made it, I hope.
    I have a 20 gallon tank and have 2 goldfihs, 2 irredesent sharks, 1 pictus, 1 pleco, 1 rapheal catfish.
    I thought I had done the cycle with my two gold fish for 3 weeks...
    I found out the hard way and my tank hit 10 for my nitrites and 200 for the nitrates.. for a week it sat this high.
    I was doing half water changes everyday.
    It started to come down and I changed the filter (cartridge) and vacumed the tank with my water change and it spiked again to the highest levels on the stirps.
    Then over night it went down to 1 and 40.
    And then the next day 0 and 0.
    Its been good like this for a week. I think I was over feeding as well during all this and started to be a bit stingy with the food.
    Does this mean I am through the cycling and I am good now?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sadly No.
    Could you elaborate on how you cycled this tank? Im not following what happened?
    Also, we need to address your fish as they physically cannot fit in 20gallons

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to see a picture of your tank and the fish in it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second that, with the new forum look we areable to share pictures better and it is fun to see all the different aquarium styles

0 Not allowed!
    Not me. The mental picture of 2 goldfish, 2 iridescent sharks, 1 pictus, 1 pleco, 1 rapheal catfish is enough for me in a 20 gallon tank.

You might want to read about cycling in my signature?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-01-2013 at 06:36 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 150 gallon tank my dad is giving to me once he is finshed building his custom tank so they wont be in the 20 gallon for long as they will get quite large.
    I seet up the 20 gallon tank and let it run with a starter bacteria for 1 week. Then I added 2 gold fish for 3 weeks.
    Then I was under the misunderstanding that I had established the tank and could add more fish. That is when I added the 2 irredecent and rapheal. Then a couple of days later I added the pictus and pleco.
    And I started testing the water and noticed the nitrite climbing. I think I was over feeding adn I am not sure if my fliter is the best. Its a cartiage one, and you pull the whole thing out and put in a new one. Which I did. (maybe the canistser filters hold more bacteria as you dont have to pull out the media?)
    With in a couple of days my Nitrites and Nitrates were the highest level on the tester.
    I keep up with 50 % water changes daily, added the air rock and put the temp up to 78.
    It stayed up like this for a week. I thought for sure the fish were going to die. They all survied and I am at week 8 now and the nitrite and nitrate are showing as zero when I test.
    I am just unsure if that means my tank is stable and cycled?

Mommy1 I will post a pick as soon as I figure out how:)

0 Not allowed!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cent_shark.jpg

Here's your shark and you have two of these. If you have a pleco, you must have driftwood because it's a food source for them and a diet requirement. Pleco's should not go in new tanks as they will often starve to death. Goldfish are cold water fish and the others you have are warm water. Good rule of thumb is do not get the fish until you have the tank.

Removing the cartridge in your filter also removes the bacteria and why you lost your cycle.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So will it spike everytime I remove the cartridge to clean the filter?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Yes. That's where you cycle is.
    Not necessarily true depending on the filter...I have been using cartridge filters for a while and the Aqueons have this plastic stuff that never comes out with a ton of surface area for BB growth. You do lose some of it in the cartridge but as long as you don't ever clean off the plastic casings in there (blue pieces if its aqueon) then you should be ok. Also don't change those nearly as often as the package suggest just rinse the cartridge off in tank water.

That being said, to help out you can do what i just did to my larger aqueon and get a media bag with small filter media pieces and stick it in behind where the cartidge fits, or modify the cartridge to remove the carbon & replace wqith crushed traditional filter media so you can effectively never replace it and never deal with loss/partial loss of cycle. From what I read more surface areas that is never removed/disintegrated without affecting flow the better.

That stock list is wild though even if it's temporary.