· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Cracked intake tube

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I was putting together a new AC110 filter today. One of the ends of the intake tube has an inch long crack in it. Can I use a thin bead of super glue on this? If not, what would be the best thing to use? Linda

0 Not allowed!
    Just to be safe, I would use a small bead of aquarium grade silicon, either something specifically you get from your LFS, or GE 1 Window and Door, which is also aquarium safe. Clean the area with alcohol and let it dry. Make sure it is fully dry because if there is still alcohol on the intake, the silicon will not stick. Put a thin bead over the crack, then dip your finger in alcohol and smooth the bead, extending, at least 1/4" in all directions from the crack. The alcohol on your finger is to keep the silicon from sticking to you.

Hope this helps. Best thing to do would be contact AC customer service and get a new one, or return it to the the store you bought it at for an exchange.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoralinda View Post
    Can I use a thin bead of super glue on this?
    Absolutely.

Super Glue [Just the regular plain old straight up Super Glue - Which is Cyanoacrylate] is completely tank safe. The saltier ones amongst us [Reef people] use it all the time to keep frags in place.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For it’s medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09 View Post
    or GE 1 Window and Door, which is also aquarium safe.
    The last time I bought GE 1 silicon which was a couple years ago it stated on the back of the tube that it wasn't for use below the water line in aquariums, Anybody here bought a tube lately that can check to see if it's still that way or has GE changed the description again?
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

0 Not allowed!
    Been using it for five years and never had a problem with it.

You can use super glue, but if the seal you make isn't completely air tight, you will suck in bubbles making for a noisy filter, which is why I suggested something that might give it a better seal.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

0 Not allowed!
    Since it is new, I would just return it and exchange it for one without a crack.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget228 View Post
    The last time I bought GE 1 silicon which was a couple years ago it stated on the back of the tube that it wasn't for use below the water line in aquariums, Anybody here bought a tube lately that can check to see if it's still that way or has GE changed the description again?
    I stopped using it when their labeling changed about 4 years ago.

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/waterproof.php

Now they have too many labeling changes. GE 1 (for instance) is not for bathrooms and kitchen but also for door and windows just as GE 2 is. It simply become too confusing to mess with when aquarium silicone is just as easy to buy. It still will take 48 hours to dry.

PS......The AC comes with 2 tubes. You really only need one of them.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-01-2013 at 03:51 PM.