· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How long do you QT a fish for?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, I was wondering how long you should QT a fish for?
    29 Gallon: 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Glowlight Tetras, 2 Pleco, and 2 German Blue Rams!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I generally go 3-5 weeks on QT. pending they are in good health.

any issue's during the QT means at least 2 weeks post success of treatment to make sure they are back to full health.

Default I QT long time & I like it like that! :-D

0 Not allowed!
    I used to think 2 weeks was fine but then you get on here and see all the issues people have and it just kept getting longer and longer lol.. I harp about it all the time but the simple fact is QT can save entire tanks full of fish. IMO a week or two of QT is effectively not QTing at all.

IE: The Odessa barbs I brought home Dec 5 just came out of QT on Jan 21. 14 in total and everyone came through with flying colors.

I typically go around 4 weeks and if all is well they get the green light for the big show. This QT was extended because I added additional fish [The initial 8 were all the LFS had when I bought them.. So, QT started over from the time of the new arrivals.]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i generally do 2-3 weeks, but my latest fish has been in for a month now and im thinking another for him.... he needs to grow a bit lol
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Around 4 weeks for me as well.

If at anytime I notice something that I need to treat with meds, I will wait about 4 weeks after the treatment is done. I have some fish in QT right now that I got in Nov, but had to treat them for a really bad ich outbreak. I am planning on putting them in the main tank in the next few weeks provided everything goes well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help! I just started getting into this site and its great! always get a reply fast and everyone's eager to help! i'v learned more on here then the past few months of researching threw Google! Thank you!!! i think i will do a 4 week rule from now on
    29 Gallon: 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Glowlight Tetras, 2 Pleco, and 2 German Blue Rams!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    90 days. Yeah, it's a long time but I do a worm schedule and a bunch of other treatments on them and need to see if stuff pops up.

0 Not allowed!
    I've a question for those who have an elongated QT schedule: Do you typically have your QT already setup and ready to go, or do you set it up every time you buy new fish or have a sick fish?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I've a question for those who have an elongated QT schedule: Do you typically have your QT already setup and ready to go, or do you set it up every time you buy new fish or have a sick fish?
    Set it up every time. I use a sponge filter from my main tank so it is insta cycled when i get fish.
    However, i do 20/30% pwc every couple days and then a big pwc each week to keep the water
    Pristine for the new fellas

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Set it up every time. I use a sponge filter from my main tank so it is insta cycled when i get fish.
    +1.

Exactly as Mizzou states with the addition of an extra HOB or canister that I keep cycled on a stocked tank as well. Which filter depends on if I am using a 55G or 29G to QT.

. . . This does kind of depend on your definition of 'set up' though.

My 55 is in the basement, My empty 29 is on the bottom of a double stand, I use them where they sit & I consider neither 'set up' unless they are Stocked, Filled, Filtered & heated [If needed].

There are lots of threads on here about setting up QT tanks.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-01-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.