· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: LED lighting

1. Default LED lighting

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon tank I purchased from a local shop and it has 5 sets of 3each ( 15 total ) LED lights. I have been told I can grown basically any plants I want because it is a different spectrum of light. I have tried to research this more, but I believe, because it is fairly new, there's not much info that's difinative. Without going to the expense of buying a new LED light set and rigging into my tank, will the stock LED's be enough to grow plants? Thank you!!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what brand is the light?
    do you know the spectrum of the lights? the par value?

all that is vital to know for LED setup on growing plants.
    the watts/gallon is old new-rough estimate for bulb fixtures, but for the LED realm-the above information is vital.
    because some cheapo LED's will just throw in a low watt LED bulbs, generic white spectrum.
    others will go more powerful LED's and tailor the spectrum for plants.

Default A link even, If posible...

0 Not allowed!
    I think a brand name/Model number for the light you want an opinion about would be really helpful here.. Without that we are only guessing.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's the Top Fin brand from Petsmart. There isn't any other info I can find. I do know the LED's are white and not colored in any way. Sorry....that's all I have.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerman View Post
    It's the Top Fin brand from Petsmart. There isn't any other info I can find. I do know the LED's are white and not colored in any way. Sorry....that's all I have.
    Is it the hood with the built in lighting [Comes as part of the kit or just a fixture? The only Top Fin LED product I am seeing on their website is this LED bubble wand

Again, Can you find a link to it on petsmarts website?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's part of the problem. I can't even find the tank I bought on the website. I HATE purchasing top fin products because any replacement parts, or information about thier products, are almost impossible to find, but they are cheap.......In looking at the bubble wand, I'm pretty sure the LED,s are the same, at least they look the same. Ive got a few bulbs ( from walmart, apogonate.....SP??) and a marismo ball in it now. I won't try but one or two low light plants, if I try anything, in this tank at all. Thank you!!!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    LEDs really are the wild west of aquarium lighting...it's hard to know what type of light you have, or how powerful it is, or even the spectrum in many cases. I'd say try a few low light plants, see how it goes. In my limited experience, any stock LED lighting might be sorta crappy. But then, you don't know til you try, and growing any type of plant in a tank is beneficial (I'm a big fan of plants). Something that doesn't work for one person may work for another....I'm not completely sure why this is due to the many variables. Just to make lighting that more complicated.

Oh, and just so you know, you probably have a couple apongeton bulbs in there and a marimo moss ball. Just so you know what you have. It's always good to get the right names. Now, remembering them is the true challenge. Good luck to you!!!!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

8. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
    LEDs really are the wild west of aquarium lighting...it's hard to know what type of light you have, or how powerful it is, or even the spectrum in many cases. I'd say try a few low light plants, see how it goes. In my limited experience, any stock LED lighting might be sorta crappy. But then, you don't know til you try, and growing any type of plant in a tank is beneficial (I'm a big fan of plants). Something that doesn't work for one person may work for another....I'm not completely sure why this is due to the many variables. Just to make lighting that more complicated.

Oh, and just so you know, you probably have a couple apongeton bulbs in there and a marimo moss ball. Just so you know what you have. It's always good to get the right names. Now, remembering them is the true challenge. Good luck to you!!!!
    Thats my plan for now. I may get a java fern or something like that anyway. At least until i start my next tank. Unfortunately this was my first tank and i made many key errors in starting but have since learned tons from very helpful people.

BTDubbs (as my daughter says) i suffer from CRS.....cant remember squat!!