· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default GBR no longer spawning - any ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have a pair of GBR's in my 30 gallon community planted tank. When I first got them, they spawned within a month. This spawn got to the free-swimming stage, then all disappeared. They spawned a few more times over the following months, with the same results.

I had been feeding them crushed flakes the first couple spawns, then "First Bites" the last couple. I purchased Walter worms to trying feeding them with after that, but they have not spawned since. I feed all the fish in the tank now with Walter worms on occasion...thinking maybe having a food source there will encourage another spawn.

The running theory is that with all the community fish activity, the pair is giving up and eating the fry. I have never seen it happen, so it could be anything. They do all disappear over 1-2 days.

Now, the female usually hides among the plants and the male swims throughout the tank, and if she approaches him he chases her away. Her colors are mostly drab (I imagine from the chasing/hiding), though she occassionally has a red belly and egg tube showing, but no spawns as a result.

Any idea on how I could get a successful spawn in this tank with this pair? Photos of the tank and also the pair with their first fry are attached (the plants have changed slightly since then, but mostly its like in the photo).

baby rams.jpg30 gallon community aquascape.jpg

Thanks!
    55 gallon planted - Fish & Shrimp - Pair of Gold Rams, albino bristlenose plecos, school of neon tetras, school of praecox dwarf neon rainbowfish, australe orange killifish, yellow kimono killifish, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and a cherry shrimp colony. Plants - Dwarf baby tears, vals, guppy grass, moss, narrow-leafed java fern, amazon swords, anubias, and crypts

0 Not allowed!
    At what temperature do you maintain the tank?

Excellenct GBR profile:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cich...manblueram.php

82 degrees F is the ideal breeding temperature.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-31-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I keep it around 80F, sometimes up to 82F, but not any higher. Think that would help (and not kill rasboras or neons?)?

Also, the pH is about 7.4, but that's harder for me to adjust (our tap water is near pH 8, and I've killed off the whole tank before accidentally adjusting the pH too much and/or making it too different than our LFS's water, so I've been staying away from that).
    55 gallon planted - Fish & Shrimp - Pair of Gold Rams, albino bristlenose plecos, school of neon tetras, school of praecox dwarf neon rainbowfish, australe orange killifish, yellow kimono killifish, amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and a cherry shrimp colony. Plants - Dwarf baby tears, vals, guppy grass, moss, narrow-leafed java fern, amazon swords, anubias, and crypts

0 Not allowed!
    82F is the top of the range for rasbora. IMHO, it's not a good thing to try and adjust pH in the tank because you're constantly adjusting and varying pH. A stable pH is bettter for the health of the fish. In short, don't mess with the pH.

Now with that said, the pH seems pretty high for successful breeding of GBRs. I don't really understand why the male is rejecting the female as you have a proven breeding pair. I'm just guessing that the pH might be too high for successful breeding.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, yes, I agree with what you said about pH. That has definitely been my experience, that it's better to keep it stable as-is.

They did breed with the pH and temperature I have a few times, and then something seemed to stop them from spawing...so wondering if there's anything I can do that would get them back to spawning!

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the person who wrote the GBR profile that I linked to really IS an expert, just not an active member of the forum. I'm not an expert with GBR, although I've kept them, albeit unsuccessfully. So if you can't find an answer in that profile, forum member Sandz might be able to help you.

Oh Sandz...help.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Well, the person who wrote the GBR profile that I linked to really IS an expert...So if you can't find an answer in that profile, forum member Sandz might be able to help you.

Oh Sandz...help.
    Oh, great, somehow I missed that link. I will be able to read it more thoroughly later tonight. I also forgot to add that on the last couple spawns, I put a tank divider in the tank with the GBRs and fry on one side and the rest of the fish on the other...to keep the community fish away from the fry...but to the same result.

0 Not allowed!
    How old are your rams.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got the rams at Christmas 2011, and they appeared to be just entering adulthood at that point...they were not quite colored up and just at the point of telling male from female, with the female just getting her pink belly. I don't think they were hormone treated, as my LFS usually has local suppliers, but I didn't ask. So I think that's a pretty reliable guess as to the age.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I am gunna take a stab at this. I dont think the pair are an issue of compatibility. The female seems to lack conditioning which is normally cause by sub par food. Personally I use a mix of tetra flakes, crushed nls and hikari blood worms. The freeze dried works fine but I use frozen.

The pair and/or the tank mates are eating the babies. When they get to wriglers you need to get them asap to another tank. A turkey baster is the easiest method.

To educe spawning start feeding 2-3 times a day with a variety of quality foods. Water temp changes can trigger it too. I change water with a little cooler water and keep the tank 82-84 deg F.

They also appear young, dont expect two times a month spawns. More like once every other. As they age they will get it right. If you really want the fry, have a 2nd tank set up and ready with a sponge filter and transfer the wriglers asap.

Also dont touch the ph, it doesnt matter. The reason the ph/hardness is even an issue is the harder the water the harder it is for sperm to get to the egg while its still permeable.
    Last edited by Sandz; 02-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's