· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stuck between rams and borellis?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 29G tank, currently stocked with guppies (I'm giving them to a friend, as I am sort of craving something more challenging, both breeding and keeping wise). I have a lot of prep work to do (exchanging lightly coloured gravel for black sand, planting, slowly adjusting pH, water hardness, bringing in the other fish first, making sure the tank has cycled all the way, etc), but I'm doing my research in advance, so I know what to prepare for.

I have researched both rams (I'm not entirely sure what kind of rams I would get; suggestions for someone who's never kept rams before? I've heard that German blues can be tricky for first-timers) and borellis extensively, as they were the two that most appealed to me.

So far, I've concluded that a single pair of rams might do better in a community tank, given the size. Rams are also more endeared to me, as I'm a sap and the single-partner thing gets to me. However, I've heard that borellis are easier to keep for those who are just dipping into dwarf cichlids for the first time? So basically, which is wiser? I know my way around a tank, and I have enough free time to manage either or, but in your guys' experience, which would be less risky? I am looking to breed (... Also, if I do go with a single pair of rams, are there tips for selecting a pair that are more likely to bond?).

I have a male dwarf sunset gourami already that I'm very endeared to and am hoping to keep with whichever dwarf cichlid I end up with, so that could also factor something in. And, I'm actually not a huge fan of tetras, aesthetically speaking, so if that will affect whether rams or borellis would be a better option, that's out there, too.

Thanks in advance, and sorry, that was a bit of a ramble. *cough*
    Last edited by IshPish; 01-30-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    The DG is going to potentially have an issue with either and will also be a threat to fry so I would have a second tank to put the eggs in with meth blue. You will need a grow out tank either way if you want to breed.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I second that.

I have a ram and DG in a 45gallon tank. heavy planted.

The DG near killed my ram. I had to rehome him. a breeding tank of rams and a DG is a disaster waiting to happen.
    the rams could/would get aggressive to defend their fry and the DG will go in for snacks..and a brawl would occur and only one fish would remain

0 Not allowed!
    Hi IshPish,
    I suggest Bolivian Rams. They are easy to keep and have so much personality. I tried breeding mine in the main tank but wasn't very successful for getting the eggs to the fry stage ( Not saying you couldn't do it in your main tank). I eventually set up a Bolivian Ram tank and moved all 5 Rams in that tank. Once I figured out the pair, I left them in the Ram tank and moved the other three Rams back to the main tank..

I've been somewhat successful at breeding them with getting 6 of the first batch of little ramsies to survive and they are thriving. Watching Mama and Papa take care of them is really cool. I say somewhat successful because I haven't been able to move the babies to another tank and now they are big enough to pose a threat to any potentiona eggs produced by Mama and Papa so they have stopped spawning. I originally planned to get a separate tank to put all fry in so I could continue to breed Mama and Papa in their own tank but can no longer financially afford to do so.

I guess I went around the world with my reply Again, I think you would like Bolivian Rams. They aren't as colorful as other Rams but in the right conditions they color up quite nicely and have so much personality.. I love mine
    Last edited by kurly; 01-31-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. Thanks, guys! However, I think that after reading through some of these, I would rather wait until I can afford an extra 15G tank or something before breeding.

Regardless of the ram I get (still leaning bolivian), would it be alright to put two males in one heavily-planted tank? Put territory hot spots on opposite ends of the tank? Then I could still have a community tank (until I can afford a second tank for a female ram and breeding purposes) without worrying about fry getting eaten.

And if I do breed, are there any 'not ram' fish I could throw into the tank? Other than tetras? Or, even if I don't breed.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are wanting to breed, you really dont want anything else in there. On the two males, not in a 15gal tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    If you are wanting to breed, you really dont want anything else in there. On the two males, not in a 15gal tank.
    I don't have a 15G; I have a 29G. I was saying that if I were to breed, I'd wait until I could afford to GET a 15G to set aside for the process.

Would a 29G be big enough?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ok sorry for misreading. but still in a 29gal I wouldnt recommend it.

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 apisto double red (1m 3 f) *thank you sandz*, and the male does fight with my DG, but its planted with enough visual breaks that they just fight run and hide.

In a 29 I think there def would be issues, especially if you accidently or on purpose ended up with fry

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by IshPish View Post
    I don't have a 15G; I have a 29G. I was saying that if I were to breed, I'd wait until I could afford to GET a 15G to set aside for the process.

Would a 29G be big enough?
    A 29 is big enough for breeding a number of cichlid species IF you have a bonded pair to start with. Growing out 5-6 juvies to get an established pair is the best way, but a 29 is a bit small for that. A 15 gallon tank will only support a small number of growing fry in the long run. A 33 long or 55 would be much better all around. Research the mattenfilter, one of those used as a divider is a great setup for breeding and growing out fry. Fast-growing live plants like Najas or hornwort are also helpful, both for maintaining water quality and supporting micro-critters for tiny fry to feed on.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.