· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default water sprite...floating to rooted?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all. I have a nice bunch of floating water sprite with good root growth. I was wondering if I could plant one of these guys in substrate. Would it transition well? I also have one rooted specimen...if I can't use a floater, how exactly would I propagate it? Just cut off a few stems and plant?
    I am just trying to use what I have to further fill out these four tanks, and ditch the few silk plants I have left.

Thanks.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My experience with water sprite is that you can plant the floating plantlets, and they will often grow rooted in the substrate. However, it doesn't always work. It may have to do with how much of the root system is buried, and other local conditions for each plantlet. (Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.) I'd estimate about half of the plantings will become established. Fortunately, water sprite grows quickly and puts out many plantlets, so you have (or will have soon) many to work with.

0 Not allowed!
    You can use a cutting from the plated plant or use one of the floating ones. Planting a floating plant do,as said above, usually work. To little light near the bottom is a common reason if it does not work.

If you take a floating plant I recommend trimming down the roots to about 1,5 inches in lenght before planting in the substrate.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! I'm going to experimenting here with the wisteria. Good to know it's worth a try.

I just *love* how so much of aquarium keeping is an adventure. Or maybe it's just that I go off the beaten path too much!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    now that i've started dosing with flourish Excel daily (the carbon suppliment) my water wisteria is shooting up like no one's business. Also the Cabomba (i will always spell this wrong) carolinia is flourishing in my four gallon. I do love the look of my water wisteria's in the ten gallon tanks.

20 gallon tall - 3 paska's red rainbow, 8 harlequin rasbora, 2 algae eating shrimp, 4 cherry shrimp, 2 nerite snail, 2 blueberry shrimp, 1 bronze cory, 1 peppered cory, 1 julii cory, 2 pc driftwood planted with anubias and narrowleaf java fern.
    Other plants in tank - 1 bunch anacharis, 1 bunch water wysteria, 1 package of B. Caroliniana, 1 Crypto Luten, 1 red wendii, Mossball.
    Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat[
    1 Rat - Domino aka Domi
    1 Robo hamster - Spice