· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 125 Gallon Goldfish Tank Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Well, to give some backstory here, I used to keep goldfish years and years ago. I ended up moving to a small apartment where I didn't have room for my then 55 gallon tank, so I sold all of it and got out of fishkeeping completely. Recently I moved into a house where I have tons of room, so one of the first things I did was set up a 29 gallon tank just to have some neons. Well, that lasted all of a couple of months. I ended up upgrading to a 60 gallon tank in which I now have a dozen each neon tetras and black tetras, along with ten glowlight tetras. I'll keep adding here and there until I think I have enough in there.

AT that point, you'd figure I'd be done, right? Nope! I cleaned up the 29 gallon and was going to try and sell it either on here or on Craigslist, but then I took a look at one of the local fish stores here that buys and sells used equipment. They had a 125 gallon tank with an oak stand and canopy for just over $400.00. I talked to the guy and showed him what I had to trade in, and I ended up getting it with delivery for just over $300.00. Here she is:

That's all I have in the way of photos....I figured I'd start this while I was at the very beginning. Since I now have the biggest tank I've ever owned, I decided to go back to my original love - goldfish. As far as lighting goes, I have two Marineland Aquatic Plant LED 24-36" lights. I had one from the 29 gallon that I couldn't get myself to trade in for pennies on the dollar, so I kept it and added another. I'm a big fan of these lights.

Filtration - Fluval FX5 that I just set up before I started this post....very impressed with it at the moment.

I'm expecting my second filter tomorrow - an Aquatop CF-500UV canister. I got a good deal on it, so I went with it over an HOB. I've become a big fan of canisters since I started up with the hobby again.

Substrate - I'm going to go with sand...a mix of black and white. I'll have some live plants, nothing fancy, and a couple of decorations, but for the most part, it's going to be very open with lots of room for them to swim.

I'll also have several bubblers, as the goldfish I had in the past always loved playing in the bubbles!

I have a background coming....well two actually. A photo/film type that attaches to the outside of the tank, and I also have a sample coming of a 3D background that would go inside the tank. Once I get those, I'll figure out what I want to do.

Ultimately, I'd like to have 6 goldfish in there, three pairs. One pair each of Orandas, Lionheads, and Black Moors. I don't know how long it's going to take me to get this all set up, cycled and stocked, but all I know is that I'm having a blast with it and I thought I'd share for those that were interested. Thanks for looking!

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like you god a great deal.

I like the look of the set-up with the canopy.

I will be following your journal with interest
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    This is going to be very interestig. I want to have a golfish tank in the future and Im sure his will become a great source of info. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
    Roll the Dice!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys..now that I know there are no leaks and I know the filters are working, I have to do some major modifications to the stand. Me being me...I picked two filters that fit under the tank, but don't fit through the doors pre-cut in the front of the stand. I knew this going in, so it wasn't a surprise, but I had my mind made up on those filters. If I don't injure myself during these modifications (I'm not the most handy person), I'll post some photos of what I did. If it turns out like I have it in my head, it'll be pretty cool.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, now this has turned into a bigger project. I've had the aquarium filled with water for over a week now with the FX5 running for a few days. I went to drain the aquarium last night so I could start cleaning off all of the hard water stains....and then I saw it...water inbetween the bottom molding and the glass. I have a leak somewhere, but I don't see where it's coming from. Of course, gravity works against me here...no matter where it's coming from, it could end up there. I couldn't find any wet spots on the sides/edges of the tank, so I'm assuming it's along the bottom somewhere. The silicone all looks good, although it seems hard, so maybe it's just getting old. Anyhow, rather than stress over trying to find/fix the leak, I'm going to take all of the silicone out and re-seal the whole thing or else I'm just going to worry about new leaks popping up. I guess this is the upside of taking my time as I don't have any fish in there yet. If it wasn't such a big tank, I'd consider getting a new tank, but I'd be looking at $400.00 give or take which is more than I already paid for the whole setup I had. Oh well...gives me something to do I guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Great deal dude!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Nice to see someone taking goldfish seriously !

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Before you start ripping out silicone check the filter. The hoses may be leaking. If it's not the filter hoses or connections then call the store. This is a new tank and should have some sort of warranty and they may replace the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the lack of updates, gang. Had some good and some bad happen, but things took some time to develop. Unfortunately, the leaky tank is new to me but still used, so the same type of warranty doesn't apply (they would more than likely have taken the tank back, but I would get store credit towards something else). I had already checked the filter, but you made me doubt myself so I checked all of the fittings again...not a drop.

Anyhow, I had a couple of turns of good luck. I found someone who was looking for a big tank to use for reptiles. I advised him of the leak and he was fine with it, and he paid me $125 for it. At that point, I had the stand and canopy, but no tank.

Then I got my second lucky break - one of my local fish stores had 125 gallon tanks on weekly ad for $299.99, so I jumped at it. Now I have the whole shebang again, but with a new tank! Although now I'm out around $500.00 instead of $300.00, but still it's a good deal overall...and I didn't have to go through the re-sealing process at least. The tank is black trim instead of oak, but you won't see much of it and I should be able to cover what is visible.

Okay, so now I'm rolling again. First up was modifying the stand so I can get my big filters through the front. I thought I was going to have to take out the whole front panel, but I ended up only having to take out one section on the end. While I had it out, I reinforced all the way around with some 2x4 pieces I cut to size, just to be safe and I put another in for support where the panel I removed was originally attached:

Here is a sample of the background picture I ordered for it:

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a shot of the substrate I'm using. I just combined a 50/50 mixture of black sand and white sand (PETCO brand, funny enough). I really like the look of it!

Here is a shot of the tank with the substrate in and the background attached. There's no water in this shot. After filling it and checking for leaks, I drained it so I could get behind it and attach the background:

Here it is filled back up, with a couple of bubblers:

That's where I'm at now. I have plants on order that I should have sometime next week, and I'm going to pick up a few decorative ornaments (not many...this tank will be mostly open swim space aside from the plants). I went ahead and started cycling tonight. I dosed up to about 4ppm since I'm planning on stocking all at once when it's ready to go. I'll post more pics when I get plants and ornaments in. I really love the way this tank looks even as it is now! Thanks for looking!