· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowerthnyou99 View Post
    Not crampin on your style but.... You will be lucky to keep the Neons in conditions like this. They are a pretty sensitive fish. I have not been successful with keeping them and my water parameters are very good and its a planted tank. As for your dream fish. It can grow to 16+ inches. You will need a much bigger thank, then if the neons are still alive it will eat them as it grows. I am not a stocking pro as I am working out my own issues but just from my experience.
    Thats why i don't have one lol i want to have a big enough tank before i even get one, and my neons are healthy as can be lol mines non-planted as of now, well except for 2 moss balls but those don't count haha i also have a power head and a air stone they seem to really like the bubbles
    29 Gallon: 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Glowlight Tetras, 2 Pleco, and 2 German Blue Rams!!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you making sure to check your parameters and do water changes when necessary? Don't assume all is well even if the fish look fine.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    It's angels, not angles.

Good thing you are not going to get another, really. Not all angels will leave neons alone. Some find them just the right size for lunch. And in a 29 gallon, there isn't all that many hiding places for neons with a hungry angel looming overhead.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    It's angels, not angles.

Good thing you are not going to get another, really. Not all angels will leave neons alone. Some find them just the right size for lunch. And in a 29 gallon, there isn't all that many hiding places for neons with a hungry angel looming overhead.
    My bad, surprised no one else said anything haha and yeah not planing on getting another angle for that tank.
    Last edited by bowhunter2284; 02-02-2013 at 06:23 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Are you making sure to check your parameters and do water changes when necessary? Don't assume all is well even if the fish look fine.
    Yup! went down a ton just checked this morning and went from off the chart to 3 ppm (which it say is the "stress" area of my chart) lol and nitrate is at 20 ppm, ph is at 8.4 so kinda high but i want to get the nitrite down before i mess with that lol going to do a water change tomorrow morning and check again tomorrow night, things are going well now, well better

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter2284 View Post
    Yup! went down a ton just checked this morning and went from off the chart to 3 ppm (which it say is the "stress" area of my chart) lol and nitrate is at 20 ppm, ph is at 8.4 so kinda high but i want to get the nitrite down before i mess with that lol going to do a water change tomorrow morning and check again tomorrow night, things are going well now, well better
    It's best not to mess with your pH at all if you don't have to. As long as it's stable. Most freshwater fish will adjust to high or low pH. Personally if my tank was cycling like yours is right now, I'd check the parameters twice a day. When I did a fish in cycle once, not knowing any better, I had to test twice a day and do water changes two to three times a day and that was just with a dwarf puffer!
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
    It's best not to mess with your pH at all if you don't have to. As long as it's stable. Most freshwater fish will adjust to high or low pH. Personally if my tank was cycling like yours is right now, I'd check the parameters twice a day. When I did a fish in cycle once, not knowing any better, I had to test twice a day and do water changes two to three times a day and that was just with a dwarf puffer!
    yeah those readings were from about 15 mins ago and i did a water change over 24 hours ago, i'm gonna check in the morning when i wake up and then do a WC

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Any time the readings are over 1.0 for either ammonia or nitrite you need to do a water change. Doing this well give your fish the best chance of survival.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely correct. Ammonia for a brief time is bad enough but ammonia each day is too much for any fish and ammonia beyond .50 is getting very dangerous. You will have to give up your dream of having a black ghost knife unless you have a big tank. Big is not 55 gallons and BGK reach 20". You could not keep one with neons, anyway.

Have you read the cycling with fish thread below? It's not hard but it takes daily testing and daily water changes or as needed if ammonia gets over .25.

Someone wrote about your pH. Doesn't matter what the tanks pH is. It's what comes from the faucet that needs to be your guide. The high ammonia will raise the pH in the tank so you need to not mess with pH. In addition, are you aware pleco's reach one foot and sometimes more? They also starve to death in new tanks so they must be feed and driftwood is part of their diet requirement.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-02-2013 at 11:38 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Absolutely correct. Ammonia for a brief time is bad enough but ammonia each day is too much for any fish and ammonia beyond .50 is getting very dangerous. You will have to give up your dream of having a black ghost knife unless you have a big tank. Big is not 55 gallons and BGK reach 20". You could not keep one with neons, anyway.

Have you read the cycling with fish thread below? It's not hard but it takes daily testing and daily water changes or as needed if ammonia gets over .25.

Someone wrote about your pH. Doesn't matter what the tanks pH is. It's what comes from the faucet that needs to be your guide. The high ammonia will raise the pH in the tank so you need to not mess with pH. In addition, are you aware pleco's reach one foot and sometimes more? They also starve to death in new tanks so they must be feed and driftwood is part of their diet requirement.
    The pleco have grow sense i put them in their, my lfs will take them back once they get to big, also i plan to move them to my 46 gallon tank once i get that set up. My ammonia is still at 0, guess my well water has a high ph. (not in the city) and yeah i read about cycling, just not from this fourm lol i put benifacial bacteria in and let it sit for a week then got the 2 bule ram, let it sit for a week, then 2 pleco, let it sit for a week, then i kinda went over board and got the 12 neon/glow light tetras :/ look im a beginner, that why im on here, to learn what i did wrong and how i cant prevent future problems with future tanks haha and i wasnt planning on getting a BGK until i had at least a 125 tank for it (this was going to be a completely different tank then the neons lol)