· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Removing salt after Ick treatment

0 Not allowed!
    I'd bought some Tetras from a chain pet store about a month ago; they were on sale for $1 each. Should have had a clue when the sales-gal said the fish had just come in....

Anyway, it turned out the were carrying the Ick parasite. I raised the temp to 86* and added 2 tablespoons for salt per gallon. All the fish were OK with the 14 day treatment, but the snail didn't like the salt.

I've got a 29 gallon tank with approx. 27 gallons of water in it. Since ending the treatment I've changed out 5 gallons of water per day for the last 5 days.

We're heading into town Friday and would like to purchase another snail. My question is, do y'all think I've diluted the salt enough for a snail to be happy or do I need to change more water first?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that is a definite yes you have changed out 25 gallons from a 27 gallon tank It is well and truly diluted.
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

0 Not allowed!
    I would have just done a large water change of 50% and a day later another.

But in the future if you get ick again, the recommended dosage for salt is 1 T per 5 gallons of water. 2 T. of salt per 1 gallon of water is nothing I have ever seen recommended.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    But in the future if you get ick again, the recommended dosage for salt is 1 T per 5 gallons of water. 2 T. of salt per 1 gallon of water is nothing I have ever seen recommended.

From: AC Tropical Fish ( http://www.aquaticcommunity.com ) William Berg's Tropical Fish A Beginners Guide

Page 81:

"One of the effective ways to treat it is by adding salt to the water. The salt should be added gradually, slowly building up to 5-8 tsp per gallon / 4L."

3 teaspoon = 1 tablespoon
    5 teaspoon = 1 2/3 tablespoon
    8 teaspoon = 2 2/3 tablespoon

2 Tablespoons (6 teaspoons) per gallon is just above the lower limit of the recommended range.

Guess I'll do another, large, water change and hope for the best.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assume 27 gallons

First water change: 21.6 gallons of original salty water remains
    Second: 17.28 gallons
    Third: 13.82 gallons
    Fourth: 11.05 gallons
    Fifth: ~8.84 gallons

If I did this correctly (anyone care to check?) there should still be 17.68 tablespoons of salt in the tank. Diluted over 27 gallons 0.655 tbsp per gallon in the current tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn View Post
    Assume 27 gallons

If I did this correctly (anyone care to check?) there should still be 17.68 tablespoons of salt in the tank. Diluted over 27 gallons 0.655 tbsp per gallon in the current tank.
    I'll trust your math Popcorn :o).

I would do 2 more large water changes of 50% each 2 days apart before I'd add any snails back in. that's basically what I did after I treated my tank with salt. Then I added my snails back to the tank and they are doing great!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn View Post
    Assume 27 gallons

Thank you for performing the math. I couldn't determine the correct method to use; I'll add your method to my notes, just in case the little vermin decide to put on an appearance in the future.

Since there's still a bit of salt left in there I'll do as fishmommie suggested. Already changed out ~10 gallons this evening, so long about Saturday I'll do a 50% change, followed by another on Monday.

A bit of thread veer: Will snails act as an Ick carrier? There aren't many choices of stores around here; it's possible the next snail may have been kept in a tank where it's present.