· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Questions about filters.

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm new to keeping aquariums and I currently have a 60 gallon cube (24x24x24) that's cycling. Unfortunately, I didn't know about fishless cycling (wish I had), and we're about a month in with 6 tiger barbs. I have a Marineland penguin 350 on the tank, however, I'd like to upgrade the filter eventually (we're talking probably at least 6 months down the road). I was looking at canister filters and was wondering which brands were recommended and which size would be needed for my tank.
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    The are many brands out there, and most of them are good ones. I guess it is like asking
    Which car to get, there are so many choices and most ae at the same level. If you we asking about
    Hang on back filters, on the other hand, aquaclears stand out, but as far as I know of no canister filter brand really beats the rest in everything. One of the better brands(although correspondingly pricy) would be eheim. Their biofiltration capacity is big and most run very quietly. However their flow rate(and because of that, mechanical filtration) sucks so if you have a not-heavily stocked tank and want crystal clear water then it may not be for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I like the Rena XP filters. A XP3 or XP4 would do a great job on your tank. Eheim and Fluval also make some really good canister filters as well. I don't think you would go wrong with any of those three brands. Just pick a filter rated for about twice the volumn of your tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to both above post's

while you are cycling with fish, and have a low bioload, your current filter is okay...so in the meantime-search amazon, ebay, craigslist for some super deals on a cannister.
    i've only had the fluval 306, and i love it.

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion Fluvals are the best choice for canisters. Removable trays make it super easy to clean, rinse, or sway out media, they run quiet, are fairly inexpensive, and work great.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I adore the two Eheim 2217s I run on my 90g. You probably wouldn't need two unless you plan on keeping particularly dirty fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I like the Rena XP filters. A XP3 or XP4 would do a great job on your tank. Eheim and Fluval also make some really good canister filters as well. I don't think you would go wrong with any of those three brands. Just pick a filter rated for about twice the volumn of your tank
    +1 to this.

I am an EHEIM fan myself but I also have two Fluvals and agree that you won't go wrong with any of the above provided you filter adequately [2x over] as mentioned.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    If price is an issue, there are cheaper canisters that have similar performance (but not built as well.) The AquaTop (with built in UV light) is a good unit but very inexpensive as canisters go. They hold a very large volume of bio-media trays.

Do you measure your water parameters, now?
    Last edited by Cermet; 01-31-2013 at 12:20 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the advice! I've been checking out amazon for awhile now. My boyfriend and I aren't planning on overstocking, and are going to add fish very slowly when the tank is finished. As far as the water parameters, do you mean pH, nitrites, ammonia, and nitrates? If so, then yes, I check them daily. Everything seems fairly normal for cycling so far, I've read quite a few of the other threads on the subject. Just waiting for the nitrites to drop down to 0 now :)