· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

Unhappy Fish deaths immediately following water change

0 Not allowed!
    Did a water change on my clown loach tank just now. Came back 45 minutes later to feed them and 2 of my 8 loaches are stone dead. No signs of distress whatsoever from the survivors, nor from the dozens of danios and the pleco in that tank. Water parameters check out just fine, 0/0/15.

I'm pretty crushed. What did I do? Did I forget to add prime (I have since added a double dose just in case)? I can't say with complete confidence that I remembered. You would think other fish would be showing signs of distress... or that there would be an ammonia reading. Temperature variance? I was keeping an eye on that as I refilled the tank... and if there was one, the heaters got it back up within that 45 minute window. What else could I have done?

Really upset. These fish grow so slowly, I've had them for a year and I was just admiring the size they put on... and now I just killed two of them somehow.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    test your tap water, maybe they increased the chloramine level.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have anything to directly test for chlorine/chloramine... would that show up as ammonia, or not?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your signature is what I want to say to everyone on here. - aquariumlover10   Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss.

It would not. Clownloaches can be very sensative to chlorine. Compared to the rest of your fish they are sensetive to everything.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Brhino, could you please describe the % of the water change and frequency you used to follow?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    50% weekly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, very unlucky. Clown loaches are beautiful fish.

Hope you get to the root of the problem. Like others have said, it sounds like poisoning of some sort. maybe the water you added had a high amount of ammonia at the time, which would have cleared up within 45mins thanks to the filters.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh Brhino......I am so sorry. No wonder you are upset. On the chance you did forget the Prime, you will have to watch that your filters did not lose the bacteria in that time, as well. I don't think it would take much chlorine to do so. Really sorry.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   Someone who treats clowns with respect deserves one. - talldutchie   Good luck with your FF teams this season! - Slaphppy7   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    That sucks man. I dont really know anything else it could be.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Just a 'Thank you' penguin to a water treatment guy :-D. Clean water and sanitiation is a CORNERSTONE of modern civilization that people take for granted and don't think twice about & I felt that way about it before I had fish lol. Thanks to my HS Hi - 850R   because I LOL'ed at your single neon 90 gal show fish - ddavis1979   For the help on CO2 and plants - Greentoads41   Great looking tank you have! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it possible that they were already dead before the water change but you didn't notice until afterwards?