· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default "Trying" to breed cherry barbs

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to get about 50 more of these guys but they are playing silly games with me. I put some in my breeder, gave them all the java moss they like for spawning, put rocks on the bottom for eggs to drop and not get eaten and then sat back to watch. For about 4 hours it was constant spawning. I put the adults back in their own tank and get out my magnifying glass to see how many eggs I have and I have NONE.

Back they went into the breeder today. So what was all that about?

0 Not allowed!
    It's called dating..I know that's old fashioned, but geeeeezzz, give them a chance.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Gosh, must be. I didn't think they spawned until they were ready to drop the eggs. Guess a little practice never hurt? LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Seperate 2-3 females from the rest. feed them a lot so that get ready to spawn. Them put all 3 of them with one male in the breeding tank.

Cherry barbs is unlike most other barbs not really a shooling fish.

They also do well in permanent breeding tanks which is an easier solution. Just put 3 females and a male into the breeding tank and leave them there. A fair amount of fry will survive since cherries unlike most other barbs are not very prune to eat their own eggs or fry (their species). Ones the fry reach about 1 cm or so you can move them to another tank. you should be able to get a 30-40 fry a month to survive. Ie once the tank is stable you should be able to remove 30-40 youg fish every month.
    Last edited by William; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: my regular chubby fingers
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you William. Will do that right now. And will stop moving them back and forth! Sounds like a far better plan.

0 Not allowed!
    Just to add to what William said, I have had some luck with putting a few layers of marbles on the bottom of the tank so the adults cannot get at the eggs and eat them.

0 Not allowed!
    That helps but since they by the sound of it allready have a lot of java moss than that should be enough.

Marbles can make it hard to clean in a permanent breeding aquarium since they are supposed to be running for a long time compared to regular spawning tanks that you can clean in a different way.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen a cherry barb breeding tank online somewhere where someone split the tank horizontally with mesh (with lots of vals poking through and floating plants for cover). With enough moss you'll probably be ok - but my barbs have the most unbelieveable sense of smell for eggs. Nothing gets away from them in my planted tank. Greedy pigs.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I have around 12-15 cherry shrimp in a densely planted plant and no eggs have escaped in there either or I'd have seen at least one baby in all this time. I gave up. Easier to buy them. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Wait...shrimp or barbs?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~