· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Threaded View

1. Default General Suggestions for a newbie.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I am both new to the world of Aquarium Building and this forum, so I thought I would post all my setup and see what you guys can tell me to make my tank a pleasant home. I can be an impulsive person, so i did not read any of the reference material I have now purchased and read until after I did all of this, so I know and am in the process of fixing a couple dozen issues, but I would still love some input if perhaps you have a tried and tested method that might make things easier. So here goes! Attached is a picture of the system. the plants are all young, and a few came from cuttings from a friends aquarium. (all properly cleaned.)

as of about 7 hours ago, considering I am at work at the moment, this is the setup.

10 Gal tank, was not properly cycled due to my idiocy but we are recovering, and the levels are carfully watched.

78-79 degrees, there is a automatic heater in the tank so fluctuations are rare.

I overcrowded the tank, so until I can get the 55 gal that will be gifted to me up and cycled these are my little buddies.
    2 mollys
    2 platys
    2 swordtails
    1 hi-fin tetra
    1 red fin rainbow shark
    1 snail
    1 ghost shrimp
    1 spotted catfish.

They are all juvinile and rather small, so for the moment they go with the 1 inch of fish per gallon of water rule but they are still a spot cramped and I would like to give them more room to race around in.

Now I tested this about 12 hours ago and but some of the bio-booster that lowers ammonia and nitrate levels, tested again and the numbers where much better. I did not write those new numbers down though so the WQ levels should not be as bad as they look. I will test again when I get home from work to see if I need to to a PWC though

ph-7.4
    Ammonia - 1.5ppm
    Nitrite - .5 ppm
    Nitrate - 3.0 ppm

I also have 5 plants. Kyoto grass, a Tropica Fern, a Aquatic Fern and two plants I cannot remember the name of but where thriving in tanks of the same types of fish and temperatures of mine.

So does anyone have any ideas to fix what is wrong with the current setup or things I did not even think about yet? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis.
    Attached Images Attached Images