· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default 50 Gallon Journal (Pic Heavy)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

This is going to be my first journal. I am relatively new to fish tanks, when I was younger my dad and I had a turtle tank but I never really took care of it. I started with a Betta and moved onto a 20gal planted community as well as a 10 gal half moon. Both low tech with just some basic fish in them, livebearers, tetras etc. I'd been hoping to get more into the aquarium world and make a larger planted community tank maybe with some dwarf cichlids or something.

Well that aside, I got a free 50 gallon from some friends of friends. Went and picked it up the other day, not exactly what I had been expecting (especially since they told me it was a 75). But it looks like I have my work cut out for me so this may be a very slow journal.

Picked up the tank and it was very very very veerrrry dirty. Iron stand was included but also quite dirty and rusting in some places. Came with two filters, heater, and the typical box of stuff.

Here are some pics of it in my garage:

The Front

The Back

As you can see....very dirty

The Side
    Last edited by Kjmov4; 01-30-2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Added some of the pictures

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Continued...

The Tops (possibly the worst)

Little close up of the dirty gravel/broken ornament substrate

Few corners look like this

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now the extras!

Gravel Vacuum

Actually in pretty good condition, and really long. Might come in handy so I'll keep.

Lights

Probably will keep for now at least. Will eventually want to update to some better plant lights anyways but better than no lights. Although still just reminds me of the hoods....yuck.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nasty heater

Looks to be fluval, depending on how clean I can/want to try and get this possibly keep

Filter 1

AquaClear 70 or so probably a clean and keep

DEFINITELY going to need new innards for this bad boy though. I think they may have been on the once every 2 year cleaning schedule

Sweet net!

Probably will keep, clean enough.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Filter 2

At first thought was a Marineland and was stoked. Upon further inspection...it is not

Support for the previous observation

Bottom of the box

Haven't opened any of it up but probably a mix of toss/keep items.

Well that's everything that I got from them. Not sure how often I'll be updating as the first steps really are to clean this thing. Decide where (if anywhere in this house) I will put it. And what all I'm doing with it. Just thought I'd start the journal so there can be some sort of before and after process. Also thought I'd get some input from you folks on what to use to clean this up with. Thoughts on what I should toss any sort of advice really.

In the beginning (assuming everything is able to be cleaned) I will probably run it with those to HOB filters. Might buy a canister, have thoughts and daydreams about turning my 20 long into a sump/refugium but I'd have to drill (well would prefer to drill) to do that so that is not a next week task for me. Either way thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed my weekend freebie.

0 Not allowed!
    Well worth the price A bit of a clean up and you will be even happier

White vinegar and elbow grease will eliminate much of what I am assuming are hard water crust/stains. I would pitch the substrate and all filter media [As mentioned]. The heater would require CLOSE inspection [And testing] before I would be tempted to keep it.

Congrats on your free score!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I second the vinegar suggestion. Works wonders getting the deposits off. The hardest part will probably be the light and hood if they are textured, its sometimes hard to get into the nooks and crannys to get all of the white junk out.

As far as the rust on the stand, see if you can clean it off with some WD40 and a brass brush. If its just surface rust, you should be able to just repaint it. Double check with good lighting and a magnifying glass to make sure that it isn't pitting or rusting through, because where it is at would pose a risk as it is a major load bearing junction.

Good luck with the tank, starting up can be both amusing and frustrating at times, but stick with it, and take time to work out the kinks and you should be smooth sailing before you know it.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have rescued two tanks in the past year from craigs list that were similar to this.

Tools:
    1. bone sponge and cloth rags
    2. plastic putty knife and razor blade
    3. garden hose with running water and a bucket

I have found these work best for me and no chemicals. I start off by emptying tank and throwing away substrate. do a preliminary scrape of the tank with the putty knife and then hose everything out. Once all the big chunks of filth are gone, I fill the tank half way and use the sponge to rigorously scrub the inside and outside and then dump the funk water out again. The I closely inspect every square inch of the tank, both visually and with fingertips feeling for abnormalities in the texture of the glass. I use the razor to scrap any rough spots down to smooth.

Once your tank is complete, its time to focus on the hood. Similar process, but just fill your bucket for your sponge or rag to rinse. It probably takes 3-4 hours from start to finish, but both tanks have been pristine when finished. Good luck sir!
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012