· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default The New 35 Gallon Tank: A Tall Tale!

0 Not allowed!
    Hah, not so witty title. Anyway I thought I'd start one of these while i go crazy waiting for my stupid nitrites to come down during my fishless cycle!

So the story is that once upon a time in 2005 I started working at a small (i.e. one of the good) LFS in my hometown in Ontario. It was wonderful and I think I had my first fish tank within a month of starting there, hah. After many trials and errors and a ton of learning, I maintained a 30g bowfront and 2 10 gallons for almost 4 years. Then in 2009 I moved across the country to Edmonton, where I am now, leaving my tanks behind. I have been missing them ever since.

Lately though I seemed to be missing them more and more until I finally just looked on my local Kijiji site, and found what I thought to be a pretty damn good deal. There was a lady selling (what she though was) a 30g tank with stand, and a ton of accessories, for 125 bucks. It measures L30" x W12" x H23", and according to the calculator on the sidebar, its about 35 gallons.

After some (not much) thinking, I decided to go for it. She delivered it to me (thankfully, since she was in a smaller town 40 minutes outside of Edm and I dont have a car xD), and I was pleased to see how much I was getting with this deal. I scrubbed out the tank with hot water (while my curious kitties hovered around me, clearly wondering what the hell I was doing) and finally got it all ready. Next day I got some sand (having decided I really want cories again and loving the way sand looks anyway), an API test kit and some Prime and came home to start my cycle.

I have taken tons of pics but don't have them all uploaded, so I'll post a few now and work on getting the rest up!
    Without further ado, a few pics.

Tank and stand in all its glory!

I really wish my stand had a shelf or something inside, I'm trying to figure out how to go about creating one.

I was given an Aquaclear 50 filter and heater with the tank. I will be adding an Aquaclear 20 to increase the filtration in about 3 weeks :)

My silly kitty (Clary) sitting in the box (that wasn't quite yet empty!) that the lady put all the accessories in.

Currently uploading pics of the accessories; bear with me! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Yahoo! A new journal! Any stocking ideas?
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBfan
    Yahoo! A new journal! Any stocking ideas?
    Haha WOW that was fast! I havent gotten my next photo post written out yet!

I'm not entirely sure. I have been toying with lots of ideas, everything from tightly schooling bloodfin tetras, to neon rainbows, to my old standby, harlequins and cardinal tetras. Hatchets were also on my "possible" list, as well as bentos (white tip/candy cane) tetras.

I know I want a school of some kind of cory (I REALLY wanted dwarf chain loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) but they're REALLY expensive online and impossible to find in LFS here) for the bottom. Not sure on a centerpiece. But I know I would like two nice medium-sized schools of something.

But I'm totally open for suggestions. I love schools and I love colour, but I'm willing to consider just about anything!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright so here are some of the things that was in the box. This is going to take a couple posts cause there was a LOT of stuff, haha.

The black plant fell off after I examined it, and the green brick? NTY. Garbage, hah.

I like the bridge, not a fan of the arch. Keeping both for now though.

Cute, but I won't use them. I *hate* marine-themed things in a FW tank.

Couple of decent fake plants. I really like the green one.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And now, the coolest tank decoration I've ever had:

I freaking LOVE this thing! I know it won't work in the long run in a natural-looking aquarium, but for now it looks great in there! xD

----
    That's all the decor I got with the tank. However, I now have two (small) pieces of driftwood. I am also going home to Ontario in less than two weeks (YAY) and plan to bring back a bunch of my old stuff with me, including several pieces of malaysian driftwood, lots of fake plants and other assorted goodies! I'm excited :D
    ----

Okay now for the other stuf that was in the box. SOme of it seems iffy some seems great and still very functional!

Old looking air pump with air tubing with a nice splitter

The ugly as hell air stone

What seems to be a brand new air pump. I ended up pulling the splitter off the old one and attatching it to the new!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!

A mystery tube... any idea what this thing is for? It reminds me of the large gravel vac part of a small siphon, but I'm not sure.

Two bags of rocks and another nosy kitty (Leo). Won't be using the blue ones but the (HUGE) bag of those smooth rocks are definitely going to come in handy.

ALSO, there are a couple of essentials that I picked up:

Did the shake test, no bubblies. Stinks though, bleh.

And of course the most important thing to do a fishless cycle.

I think that's all the pics for tonight, will add mroe tomorrow or friday of setting up the tank!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I, personally, think natural colored but not shaped (shipwrecks, arches, ruins, skulls) items look great in a planted tank. I'm assuming you're doing live plants? Use that T-rex skull as a centerpiece, and I bet you'll be pleased.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want to do planted, but I don't have the lighting for it. Until I can afford t5's, it'll be fake plants, though I want to try to make it as real looking as possible!

I'll definitely play around with the skull once i get the rest of my decor... I really don't want to take it out, I like it! haha.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Java Fern and Java Moss don't need any special lighting. If you have some kind of light, they're fine. Heh, we have a kitty who's nosy like that. And he really likes boxes. He's off chasing lightning bugs right now. His old, fat, lazy friend is hogging the good spot in my bed. I'm sitting on the foot. *glances back at cat* sometimes I wonder who's in charge here. He just gave me a look that says "I am, of course. Pamper me! Or else......" I'm scared of him
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm. I want to see another Blackwater Amazon biotope-Sand, lots of driftwood, and some floating plants that don't need much light. And some ferns if you aren't that strict-they need very little light.
    Personally, I vote for Marbled Hatchets, Cardinal Tetras, and Sterbai/peppered cories, pleco. A nice all level covering.
    Also a asian biotope would be interesting to see- rasboras, but you want cories :)
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read