· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fish stock and compatibility for my 400liter

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, I have a favor to ask, I have no skilled or reliable sources in my area to ask two questions about my 400liter freshwater aq. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me:
    A: does my tank's variety of fish work in terms of compatibility and temperament?
    B: can I add more fishez and what can I add to compliment and remain harmonious?

My fish are:

Corydora, Albino: 3
    Corydora, Copper: 2
    Corydora, Salt n Pepper: 1
    Corydora, Panda: 1
    Angel fish: 4
    Albino Rainbow Shark: 1
    Sailfin Plecostumos: 2
    Khuli Loach: 7
    Convict Chiclids: 3
    Columbian Tetras: 10
    Head and Tail Tetras: 5
    Penguin Tetras: 3
    Albino Tetras: 5
    Dwarf Glassfish: 3
    Fancy Guppies: 2
    Zebra Danios: 4
    Cherry Danios: 4
    Total: 60

Much appreciated and awaiting comments
    Tx

Chris

Default What area?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deflekta View Post
    Hi guys, I have a favor to ask, I have no skilled or reliable sources in my area to ask two questions about my 400liter freshwater aq. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me:
    Much appreciated and awaiting comments
    Tx

Chris
    Did you not ask these questions before you brought them home? NO resources? You bought them somewhere right?

This is going to sound harsh but the truth is that the most suitable advice is this:

If you are not trolling you have a seriously steep learning curve wrt fish compatibility and stocking ahead of you.

In the meantime the easiest thing to do is return them, All of them [before you only have the convicts left] and do some research. We can then help set up a properly stocked tank of compatible fish.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 01-30-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    harsh but fair 850R.
    seems to me you need to use the internet to research first there are plenty of reliable sources on the net. In fact I think this site is one of them.
    4ft mbuna mangaino and yellows
    4ft rainbow tank
    4ft planted community
    16g nano planted shrimp and neon tetras
    10g nano reef

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dude. No need to be so harsh. I've had most of these fish in 3 separate tanks (approx 120l) each over last 3 years. I've done my research and the stores I buy from usually just says "yeah you can put them together". I've only recently purchased the 400l tank and combined all three tanks. Btw all three Chiclids are female and they lay eggs from time to time which they protect at first but later don't bother to much. My question was based on type of fish combined in real life scenarios (not what the theory states). There was hardly any scuffling when fish were in the separate tanks - just the angels jousting a bit. My filter medium, water stats, plants, lights, caverns, pots, substrate all sweet. Just not entirely sure if all fish are happy with a 7.2ph level, but most of them seems fine and lively. I even have a current from right to left in tank which the tetras enjoy and almost "play" in.

Tx
    Chris

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deflekta View Post

Corydora, Albino: 3 Social fish and needs 3-7 more
    Corydora, Copper: 2 Social fish and needs 4-8 more
    Corydora, Salt n Pepper: 1 Social fish and needs 5-9 more
    Corydora, Panda: 1 Social fish and needs 5-9 more
    Angel fish: 4 Very territorial fish and you should get rid of at least two
    Albino Rainbow Shark: 1 Very aggressive fish and not a great member of a community tank
    Sailfin Plecostumos: 2 Large and messy fish you should have only one unless your filtration and maintenance are very good
    Khuli Loach: 7 This is fine, personally I would get 3 -5 more
    Convict Chiclids: 3 Too aggressive for many of the other fish in this tank
    Columbian Tetras: 10 Awesome
    Head and Tail Tetras: 5 Schooling fish you should get 5 more
    Penguin Tetras: 3 Schooling fish you should get 5 more
    Albino Tetras: 5 Albino is not a type but rather a color, or lack of color, regardless, tetra are schooling fish and you should get 5 more
    Dwarf Glassfish: 3 Schooling fish you should get 7 more
    Fancy Guppies: 2 This is ok if they are both male or both female, doesn't really fit in and the angels or convicts will probably eat them
    Zebra Danios: 4 Zebra and Cherry are the same danio so this is ok
    Cherry Danios: 4 see above
    Total: 60
    If you aren't a troll, I suggest you get rid of two species of cory and get more of the remaining two species so they are more comfortable. As I said in red up there, you should rehome at least two angels and the shark, these fish are too territorial and aggressive to have in such numbers even in a 400 liter tank. The sailfins might work but only if you have adequate filtration and maintain the tank well. Personally I think you should rehome one. The convicts definitely don't belong here, they are aggressive and if you get a mating pair they will kill everything in the tank. Of the six schooling species,(the tetra, glassfish, and danios) I would rehome two or three species and keep only three or four and bring the numbers up to 10 each. This would leave you with:
    2 species of cory, 10 each
    1 or 2 angelfish
    1 sailfin
    7 kuhli
    3-4 species of schooling fish preferably three, and each species should have a proper sized school.
    and two guppies until they are eaten.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply, was much more informative than 850R's. What's with these troll statements?

0 Not allowed!
    Can you be more specific about which fish were together previously? and who is new?

Are the angels mature or new? You have 7 cichlids but I am assuming that you meant the females are the convicts

- They are still too aggressive for a community tank.

Can you post a picture of your new tank so we can see the scape? Is it planted? Heavy cover?

Mommys stocking plan is full of win, What do you think of it?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you still have the three 120liter tanks? If you do you could split up some of the cory and tetra species into two of them and put the convicts in the third. I understand you have had these fish for some time and there hasn't been any aggression, but they have not all been together all that long, and aggression issues will come up as time goes on. You say you have done your research, but your posts don't prove it. When you say you have three female cichlids I am going to assume you mean the convicts, but in reality you have 7 cichlids with the angels. If all of the angels have been together for the entire three years you might be ok to keep them all, but understand that as angels mature, quite often so does their aggression. As for the pH, steady pH is better than correct pH. If they have been in the same pH for three years and are still lively and healthy, don't worry about it.
    The reason for the troll comments is because people often come here with stocking similar to yours, or much worse, or huge fish in a small tank etc.. just to start a fight. It happens often enough that we are tired of it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    yes 850R was a bit on the hard side, but we see so much of this around here its hard to stay nice all the time.

mommys plan is the best. but i would wait to get rid of 2 of the angels... the best idea is to pray you got 1 male 3 females (its possible... unlikely but possible.) then watch them. as they mature they will pair off. as soon as this happens you need to pull the other 2 angels off.

for the convicts and shark.... get rid of them.... the convicts (to my brother experience and my horror.... and lack of listening to me....) have been known to take down some of the bigger fish known. his pair of convicts killed the third one he had, kill 2/3 JD's and all 3 of his fire mouths.... just saying... and the shark will most likely kill ALL your corries...

as to the schooling fish. 8-12 each would be a great number for them... might be worth your time to cut the number of species and bump up the number in the school.

i hope every one's advice is helpful to you.... i swear this is a great forum XD

oh and btw... a troll is some one online who posts things (in forums and open im chats ect.) who posts things and argues just for the sake of just getting every one all tensed up. good example would be "oh i just bought a oscar for my 20g Xhigh... thinking of adding some tetras what do you think? i mean the oscar only gets 12" long... i should have more inches worth of fish... i mean 1"/gal right?" (that is the worst idea so please dont even tempt it lol)
    Last edited by genocidex; 01-30-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the replies guys, herewith the pictures.
    image.jpg
    image(1).jpg
    Last edited by Deflekta; 01-30-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: *updated images*