· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I'll check thouse out guys! I HATE the look of equipment in my tanks, but I just can't seem to get around it.

In the 75g I'll be painting the back and bottom black, so that should work out IF I need to get a new heater or two.

I'm thinking about getting a power head or two to help with the dead spots. I have a HUGE one in the middle of my 55g, so I know it'll only be worse in a 75g.

The more I add to this project, the more I realize that it's going to be a while before I get my hands on the stinking fish.... Uhg!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Remember with dark backgrounds pigeon strains will freckle. If you care about that, its good to know.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, I'll have to look at that. I don't know if I mind it because I don't know what it is!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    First off, what water change system are you going to use? Also, what is the primary filter? Discus on a budget can be an issue - not sure your stocking approach is a good idea; the first ones will establish control over the tank/feeding area and these could very well bother any new ones to death. Five is a bit on the low level for schooling and preventing issues of picking on the smallest.

I just bought a whole school from a supplier a few weeks ago - very nice fish (2 inch) and the price per fish was dirt cheap (for discus) - shipping was the largest cost. That aside, I was able to start with seven young. This is a 75 gal tank so that number will work (however, I have two adults that will be rehomed - I am using them to be sure the fish learn to eat. Appears adults ignore small discus ... figured that might be the case since in nature the young need to learn from adults what and were to find food - this dose not work with fish of similar age - all my new ones are fighting to determine placement - the adults apear to help suppress that just by going for the food themselves causing the younger, more aggressive fish to decide to eat rather than chase a smaller fish ... .)

Many discus develop spots to help match black/dark substrates (even bare bottom tanks have this issue since that must be painted; consider a light gray.)

Be careful of high currents - discus need mostly still water. Be sure that below the surface the water is mostly calm.

Another point - be careful to cycle and when adding fish, check for spikes daily - discus do not do well with ammonia or nitrites - the ONLY level is zero NOT 0.25 ppm or 0.1 ppm like regular fish can tolerate.

Also, what temp are you aiming for? I consider 84 F to be my low end (for health reasons.)

Finally, food. Are you going to use a high end pellet? Also, young discus need to be feed four to six times a day. (yes, clean up is a pain.) Also, avoid any live foods except shrimp.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-01-2013 at 11:35 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Cermet! Glad to hear from you!

Okay, for W/C's -- I'm probably going to be doing every other day changes on these guys. With my current stock it takes 5 days for anything to show up on a nitrate test, so I'm thinking that should be enough. (Hopefully)

My Primary filter is a AC70, I also have a Aqua-Tech 30-60. That being said I am picking up a 75g this weekend which also comes with a filter. I'm hoping that the filter is at least rated for the tank so that I can just pop my AC70 on it as well and be ready to go.

Due to my getting the 75g I'll be getting 7 or 8 of these guys. I have also been directed to a supplier where I can buy 8, 1.5 inch fish for $120. I can actually go pick them up! I'm so excited about it! :)

The tank is already cycled, and I'll be moving everything over to the 75g.

I'm going for about 83 degrees due to the other fish I have in the tank.

I haven't completely decided on food yet. I have to make a trip to the store to get some more. I'm thinking of buying TetraMin, or something similar. I also feed my other fish frozen bloodworms, and frozen shrimp, along with some ciclid pellets. I don't think anything I currently have would be considered high end. Do you have some suggestions? I already feed about 3 times a day, so a few more times won't be that bad.

Edit: Will they eat my ghost shrimp!?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure I know what the freckling is now!! I thought they were supposed to be like that! Haha! Lots of the ones at my LFS have little black specks all over them, but I thought it was pretty. In that case, I'm okay with that.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    That temp (83) will work but I am lost on what other fish? You are raising 8 discus in a 75 and that is a bit over stocking as they grow. Considering the amount of fish waste (for 8 hyper active discus) and food waste will be high. Sure, discus can have tank mates but raising discus is another issue completely. Still, I'd aim to create the best conditions for the discus, not the other fish; that is, if you want the discus to grow properly and reach a good size. While neons work fine with discus (and their temp) what other fish did you have in mind?

Also, filters that come with tanks are 50% under rated for the tank.

Buy high end food on line! Will save at least 50% and eight young will go through a 2.2 lbs bag of high quality pellets in six to eight months. That would be $$$ from a LFS. Flakes are not very good because they lose far too many vitamins in the water before they are eaten. When I get home I'll send yo ua site that sells the high end stuff about as cheap as you'll find. Frozen worms are fine IF sterilized and have extra B vitamins added! Frozen shrimp are always fine but a poor primary food.

Sorry for the delay but the site will no longer load at my house (I'm at Johns Hopkins University right now.) I believe if I edit a large post, this crashes the forum and then it will not reload again - strange.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-01-2013 at 03:52 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for getting back with me.

The other fish that will be going in the tank are listed in my sig. I'm not against getting a lower number of Discus. Maybe 6 to have a full school?
    Whatever number it is NEEDs to work with what I already have.

Please do send me the links to the food! If it is appropriate for my other fish as well I can just switch completely instead of having seperate foods.

The tank I am getting is not from a store. I'm buying it second hand. The guy SAID he thinks it's rated for a 100g tank, but you never know till you see stuff. I just had a guy tell me he had a 100g tank he was willing to trade with me for. I put in the dimensions and it was a 60g... Lol.

I'm also looking into canister filters. I have found someone with some for sale for cheap! I don't know if I'll be getting them though, even though that is my eventual goal.

I appreciate your help! And as you can probably guess since these guys are so expensive compared to other fish, I really want this to work out. I'm hoping to find a combo that will work for me and the fish. I will NOT buy them until I'm fully set up for them. :)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With a pH of 7.2 it is very possible that your discus will breed, if you get a pair. Whether or not you will get wrigglers and beyond will be based on your TDS. 5 is a good start and IMO the minimum you should have, discus are definitely social fish and the strength of their immune system is reflected upon the stress level of the tank.

I understand the impulse to get your Discus tank up and running but I strongly recommend against your tiered stocking plan, it's better to get them all at the same time. As Cliff said, you can get 2inch fish at really reasonable costs or I know a great seller that has really good Discus for any budget, depends on the strain and size you want.

You're going to want a high protein diet, varied, I feed a mixture of new life spectrum thera a, discus formula, freeze dried black worms and cobalt's beef heart pellets.

Whatever you do just make sure your setup can accommodate frequent water changes. Depending on your feeding schedule I would say significant water changes every 3-4 days, if you are interested in growing them out to their maximum potential you will be doing 80-100% daily water changes.

Note, if you do buy small Discus online or Discus from the LFS that aren't properly cared for, you do run the risk of buying a stunted fish or having the fish stunted due to the stress of shipping, a good rule of thumb is to get one at least 3.5 inches, that should run you about $35 + depending on strain, (some 3 inch Discus can be up to $140 etc depending on the strain), it all depends on your preference.

ALL pigeon blood discus will pepper if you have a dark background, lots of dark items in your tank, many Discus owners who have pigeon bloods have blue backgrounds.

84 is the general accepted temperature to keep them at, it's at the low end of the spectrum, Germans keep them at 85-86 and they get some massive fish, check out Kenny's Discus, really good prices and is arguably one of the best dealers in the US.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply Mojo!

Don't worry, I've thrown out the notion of stocking in that manner. I will now be buying them all at once.

Based on what Cermet told me, I think 6 will be a better number for the tank. I have found a place to purchase them at a reasonable price.

I in no way intend on doing everyday water changes. I know that I won't keep up with a schedule like that, nor would I be able to afford the water bill. Lol! I'm thinking close to 50% every three days.

Peppered is fine with me. I think it looks pretty cool!

I'm waiting to see some links to food for these guys before I make my decision. I would prefer something that ALL of my fish would benefit from so that I don't have to buy different foods.