· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Prepping for the Discus!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone!

As some of you may already know, I am about to jump head first into Discus care. I have read the stickies, and I THINK I have a good foundation to start with. Although I do believe that, I know that you just can't beat what people with experience can tell you. I'd like for all you with Discus to weigh in on this if you can. :)

Here's the plan:

75g tank + the current stock in my 55g (see sig)

Possible bare bottm with rock, driftwood, and anchoring/floating plants like Java moss.

5 Discus fish to be stocked as follows-- 1, then 2, then 2. (Because I just CAN'T afford to do more than two at a time, IF that)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Current tank specs:

My levels are always great! With my current stock my levels still read 0,0,0 at 5 days after a W/C.

PH is 7.2 I know this isn't ideal, BUT I do not plan on breeding. In fact, I don't want them to breed.

My fish receive flakes, bloodworms, shrimp, ciclid pellets.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

I can't think of any other relevant information, so here is where you guys give me your opinions and advice on what I should do. Should I alter my plans in any way? What risks am I taking by stocking at those intervals, and so on.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bare bottom for sure. Be sure to learn how to worm them. This is important in keeping Discus long term.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont keep discus but I would suggest using a two heater setuo so that if one fails(like overnight) you wont wake up to a cold tank and a bunch of sick discus. I learned this one the hard way this winter with my clown loaches.

On a good note the stand your tank is coming with will hold a canister filter nicely for you.

Also you might have to get a bigger than standard power strip since you likely will be plugging in lots of stuff. I have found once for electronics that have up to 12 outlets (and a long cord so it isnt pulled tight depending on where your outlet is).

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Make sure you have a med kit for the discus. There is a post devoted to this. Its very very hard to get some of the meds without ordering, or atleast hard to get them for the right price.

Bare bottom is always better, I am actually planning on anubias, java fern and potted plants to allow some green with my discus when I get that going.

What prices are you paying for your discus? And what source? I know of a dealer on Aquabid that has really good stock. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...cus&1359752409 / Free shipping and he usually has some great strains. If money is an issue, this may be a good solution.

The risk you are taking with this slow stocking is minimal unless you dont have a QT tank. Please pay close attn to the QT proceedure for all Discus.

Wishing you the best of luck!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    IWA- I have some experience worming fishies. I still have a large amount of Prazi on hand. I'll take a look at the med cabinet sticky today. ( That IS one I haven't checked).

L10G- I am sincerely hoping that the 75 comes with a heater rated for it, or over. I am plannin on using my current heater in it as well, just in case. I'm hoping that if they don't have to work as hard that it won't be too difficult to get the tank to the desired temp.

Sandz- Wow! That's a really good deal!! I'm assuming it's $120 for all of them. My LFS charges $50 for 1 3inch. Have you ordered from this person? Or do you know anyone that has?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I know a few that have and they were always happy. The reviews for him are great and I have talked shop with him in the past. He knows his stuff. Been following him for about 2 years. And yes the 120 is for all 8 fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    L10G- I am sincerely hoping that the 75 comes with a heater rated for it, or over. I am plannin on using my current heater in it as well, just in case. I'm hoping that if they don't have to work as hard that it won't be too difficult to get the tank to the desired temp.

I have 2 Aqueon Pro Heat 250w heaters in my 75. They are great and keep a steady 77 degrees for me. If you have a black background they literally disappear. I ordered mine from thatpetplace.com, about $30 each ($60 at my LFS).
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"