· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Will I need root tabs with these plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 5 bunches of Vallisneria in my tank along with another plant I dont know the name of (pic below) and I have just order some Sagittaria subulata from ebay (25 bunches, dont think i'll need it all to be honest!)

Now my question is will any of these plants do better with root tabs? At the moment I dose once a week with a liquid fertilizer (JBL Ferropol), I have only been using it for less than a week so I dont know how effective it will be in the long run. I dont use any co2.

Here is the plant I need an I.D on (the middle one):

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Need? No.
    Benefit? Possibly.
    Worth it? Up to you.

I've never used root tabs even though I have heavy root-feeders. I dose dry ferts though.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Need? No.
    Benefit? Possibly.
    Worth it? Up to you.
    +1
    With an inert substrate like sand it's possible you will need them eventually [and they are cheap to use on small tanks IE: Flourish tabs] but you can also wait to see if you have any deficiencies.

It won't be an emergency either way so you can ride it out and see how they go if you want.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Stem plants (the saggitaria, and whatever it is you already have there... sorry, I'm not help with ID!) tend to get most of their nutrients from the water column. The vals tend to be more of a root feeder, and would benefit from root tabs a lot more than the others - though, to be honest, my vals always seem to grow like crazy regardless of whether I fertilise.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks a lot guys, I will stick with the liquid ferts for now and see how the plants do.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

0 Not allowed!
    Vals are quite hardy and feed from the water column also. You dont need the root tabs, but use them if it makes you feel more comfortable with growing your plants.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your mystery plant looks like Mayaca fluviatilis to me.

It's a nice plant; too bad my fish thought it was tasty!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You definitely don't need them for the plants you've listed, but when I gave my plants some root tabs, they went nuts. Its up to you really and depends on how much trimming you want to do.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The nice thing about this hobby is you can go nuts with experimentation. Just take a root tab and put it under one of the plants. The plant would have to be isolated distance wise from all the others. Then sit back and see which grows better.

My vote would be on the root tab. My Vals just never seem to do all that great with just water column dosing.