· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0 Nitrates

Default 0 Nitrates

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I've seen everyone saying that 0 Nitrates is a sign of a uncycled tank...

My current params are

0 Ammonia
    0 Nitrite
    0 Nitrate
    7.6 Ph

The tank has been stocked for over 3 months, 1 of 4 filters replaced (saved biomax that I had used in place of carbon)

The tank is planted (i'd say medium, its no forest, but as you see in my sig I have a lot of plants)

So do I have a problem, or is 0 nitrates possible...

*note I haven't done a water change in around 10 days (just seeing if I could get a reading), I have only topped off the tank occasionally from evap

0 Not allowed!
    Best way for me to answer your question is to give you a example as the answer can depend on a lot of different things.

I'll use my tank as a example. I fishless cycled it a few years ago and watched it go through all the stages including some nitrates. I have moderately stocked tank with a fare amount of low demanding plants. I always stay on top of my filter maintenance and I don't over feed the fish. I change well over 50% of the water each week (closer to 80% I would think), vac the gravel, but I do not dose with ferts at all. Our tap water is very good with no ammonia or nitrates in it (based on a City Water Treatment report). I use the API nitrate test kit. Each time I test I get 0ppm of nitrates. The API test kit only starts to detect nitrates at once they get to 5ppm, as do a lot of other test kits. I know there would be nitrates in the water, just not enough of them to register on the test kit.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The only possibilities are that your plants are using up all the nitrates (which is very possible if they are growing well) or the test kit is either expired or you are not shaking the regents enough. You really have to shake the snot out of the nitrate reagents.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I have noticed a lot of growth from all of the plants, hey, I'm not complaining... but I always see people say that its a bad thing and wanted to make sure I am not the only one.

The kit is good till like 2017, and I give em a good shake

I think the <5ppm idea may be what i have going on

0 Not allowed!
    My params also read 0,0,0. In my world, that's exceptional water quality!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dose nitrates into my tank even though I don't do water changes.

0 Not allowed!
    I still plan to do PWC, probably 30% around once a week, I just have been told by a few people if I had an issue that the tank wasn't cycled lol.

I've heard the hygro is a nitrate hog, and it seems to be growing well, so thats a plus

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you are still planning on doing waterchanges. There are more things that build up in the water besides those we test for. People who think they do not need to do waterchanges are just fooling themselves and will end up paying the price eventually.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    two things...
    1. I probably wont vac the gravel but at least change water
    2. Why did it take me this long to see you were from WNY...???? I'm an admin on a local facebook page for buy/sell/ and trade fish..

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed with the majority. Sounds like your plants are just soaking up the nitrates. I have the same issue with my 10gal planted Betta tank (or had). Floating plants, like Frog Bit, will eat it up. Anything that grows quickly should.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.